downpipe from gutter goes into soil/earth ?

nov

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

can anyone give me some advice i have fitted new guttering to my house and new downpipe.
one problem ive got is the down pipe out the front of the house ive got one section at the bottom still castiron goes straight into the soil / earth .
ive dug down about a foot and the downpipe has concrete surrounding it . i want to change this bit cast for plastic but not sure whether this bit cast goes to a soak away or some sort of pipe under the ground to take the water away and how is this connected under there etc ?

thanks

nov

Sponsored Links
The point you hit the concrete will be where the cast connects to the fireclay.

knock out the concrete and the cast will pull out.
careful not to drop any debris down the drain.

• Thanks
Reactions: nov
ok thanks mate will have another go at it tomorrow :)

The point you hit the concrete will be where the cast connects to the fireclay.

knock out the concrete and the cast will pull out.
careful not to drop any debris down the drain.

mate so do i take all the concrete out or just enough around the bit cast to free it ? then slide my new bit plastic pipe down in the concrete .

i can take a wee pic if you would like to have a look first ?

Sponsored Links
I think the concrete will break away in a handful of chunks, its normally a couple of inches deep. take care not to break the clay pipe.

you can try wiggling the cast around to see if it loosens off, you might get lucky. Then just insert your plastic rwp.

post a pic then just to make sure.

• Thanks
here is a few more picture from further back so you can see its not straight at the bottom not very much i know lol i can pull the pipe over so its straight but am not sure if my plastic union bracket will hold it eh cause i have to put alot of force to make it straight you know .

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It would be easier cutting the cast below ground level and use a connector to the.

• Thanks
It would be easier cutting the cast below ground level and use a connector to the.

yeah i did think of that so would it be ok to maybe use a bit rubber tubing 68mm and secure it with jubilee clips ?

i ended up welding a small bracket up to go around the bottom bit cast bent the cast pipe straight and bolted the bracket to the wall to hold in place . still holding a year later lol:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back