Downpipe Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently had a downpipe fitted to my gutter, however the it does not lead into any drain or any type of soak away it just stops at the bottom of my wall? I'm pretty sure this doesn't meet with building regs but don't know what my options are. There does appear to be some sort of drain right beside the new downpipe but not sure what its for (toilet waste). My toilet waste drains into another drain about 4 meters away so not whether i should get the guy back to run the downpipe into that?

any advice would be much appreciated. I have added some pictures for clarity.

Sponsored Links
forgive me for being a bit thick here but did you not have a conversation with the fitter first like:

"hi, i'd like a new d/p please".

"certainly sir, where".

"oh, i'd like the running outlet here and to terminate into the drain here".

make any sense?

Nope, asked him to fit a downpipe and he did it. He advised that the water would just drain away from the house and as im totally new to this i took the professionals word for it. Its only after doing a bit of research i found out that this is not right.

When i went down and had a look around and clear out some rubbish that was lying around i notice that drain inlet.

My question is, should i get the downpipe to run into that drain inlet. i'm not sure whether its a drain for waste water and i was under the impression that you can't run your rain water into your waste pipe as it will cause it to overflow. But i'm not sure if this is the case and this is why im asking for some guidance. i dont even know if that drain works or has been blocked up.

Nope, asked him to fit a downpipe and he did it. He advised that the water would just drain away from the house and as im totally new to this i took the professionals word for it. Its only after doing a bit of research i found out that this is not right.
Well he sure did that! No, he’s not a professional, more a cowboy; but he did do exactly what you asked! No it’s not acceptable to allow surface water from the roof to “just drain away”.
When i went down and had a look around and clear out some rubbish that was lying around i notice that drain inlet. My question is, should i get the downpipe to run into that drain inlet. i'm not sure whether its a drain for waste water and i was under the impression that you can't run your rain water into your waste pipe as it will cause it to overflow. But i'm not sure if this is the case and this is why im asking for some guidance. i dont even know if that drain works or has been blocked up.
You need to establish if the old inlet is still connected, if its working & what it feeds into; if it’s an active surface water drain (mains or soak away) then fine but otherwise no point. You may be able to connect into the foul drain (your nearby toilet drain) but you must find out if your water authority will allow this; many no longer do. Surface/foul water drainage comes under & has to comply with Building Regulations; if you feel unable to complete the work properly yourself, my advice is to call in someone who actually knows what they are doing!

Sponsored Links
Thanks richard,

How do i go about finding out if its working and what should feed into it?

Thanks richard,

There should be an on/off switch somewhere around the base, you may have to dig a bit deeper around the pipe, best get a shovel or something.

Xenon is good at drains maybe he can advise.

:)

Thanks richard,

Try putting a hose into it (a lot) & see what happens; if it disappear , it’s obviously going somewhere! Lift your foul drain manhole(s) to see if the water flows through there; at least you will then know if it’s connected to foul drain. If it is & your Water Authority will let you connect (re-connect), problem solved!

What happened to the old down pipe & where it was connected?

I bought the house 3/4 of the way through a full renovation, it was completly gutted from the inside out except for the roof and the cellar. There were no downpipes when i bought it because they had been removed to roughcast the outside. They are old wooden gutters so will need replacing soon as get money together but for the time being i paid roofers to go find a leak in my roof and asked them to connect a downpipe while they were up there...my mistake. Like i said i'm new to the housing game, its my first house, so i'm learning as i go along. Learned a lesson tho, cheap priced "professionals" = cheap job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back