1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Backed up rainwater downpipe

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by symbiosis, 29 Jun 2017.

1. symbiosis

symbiosis

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all

Just moved into a new house that's been empty for months. First hard rain and noticed the water pouring over the gutters - on inspection, the downpipe was backing up from where it disappears into the ground (its concreted in). Any suggestions on clearing it?

Also, there's a huge drain (that is open) that takes my waste from the sinks, any reason I couldn't move the downpipe to send the rainwater down there?

Cheers

2. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    I wonder if these are iron pipes, or plastic.

Photos please, and a drawing of the plan of your house, the drains and manholes.

3. symbiosis

symbiosis

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi John, Plastic pipes however the end section going into the ground is iron I believe. Can supply the rest when I get home tonight. Cheers

4. catlad

catlad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There is a good chance the plastic pipe is just slotted into the old cast iron rain water pipe
    and if you undo the brackets on the plastic pipe then you might be able to pull out the
    plastic pipe and see whats need clearing out.

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

6. Sponsored Links