Downpipe/rainwater drain query-potential dispute

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We live in a terraced property which was built in the 30’s. We share a downpipe from the main roof and also a surface rainwater drain with a neighbour. Our old front porch was a UPVC box with a small pipe protruding from it’s roof on the side where rainwater would fall into said drain (it was already like this when we moved in the property around 2008).

Around 2017 we decided it was time to upgrade & had a front porch with double glazing and a pitched roof built (all within regulation- checked by building regulations). The builders attached a downpipe from the porch guttering which runs down the side of the porch to allow rainwater to fall into the shared surface drain. So far no problems. Come 2020…our neighbour is insisting the downpipe for the porch should not be there as it falls on their side of the party wall. She claims a friend advised her of this. They have not overly complained but have made passing comments. I gave it a lot of thought and I can’t see any other solution for rainwater drainage which is shared.

Is the neighbour in the right? Also is there any other solution for rainwater drainage? Sorry for the long post..I am hoping to find definitive answers.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back