Downpipe water coming out as spring in back yard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I was flushing the downpipe using a lot of water when I noticed an underground spring in my backyard. I dug it up, about 30cm down the pipe just ends. Like its been clean cut.

Is this normal?

thank you

Sponsored Links
No, it should go to a proper drain, or a soak away. Is this on the original build part of the house or an extension?
Its the downpipe from my garage that goes straight into the neighbors extensions foundation and ends dead at their foundation.

The neighbors garage and my garage were attached, they broke theirs down and rebuild an extension +5 meters. Now my garage is attached to their extension.

Oops. If its a newish build (20 years), possible the developers used a shared soakaway or link to sewerage/surface drains for the garages, builders have cut it when doing founds for extension. Or developers never bothered with a soakaway & building control missed it.
Either way, you'll need to fix it (unless you can prove the first theory & even then it'll be cheaper to sort it than to get into a fight with the neighbours).
How much roof area is the thing draining?

Sponsored Links
Oops. If its a newish build (20 years), possible the developers used a shared soakaway or link to sewerage/surface drains for the garages, builders have cut it when doing founds for extension. Or developers never bothered with a soakaway & building control missed it.
Either way, you'll need to fix it (unless you can prove the first theory & even then it'll be cheaper to sort it than to get into a fight with the neighbours).
How much roof area is the thing draining?

Just half a single garage. Ive lived here 6 years and never noticed it. But it is draining directly into the neighbors foundation so it would be in their interest to fix it.

Just half a single garage. Ive lived here 6 years and never noticed it. But it is draining directly into the neighbors foundation so it would be in their interest to fix it.

If the water is coming off your Garage it is your responsibilty to stop it damaging your neighbours property .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back