downstairs bathroom 25m from HW tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gravity fed HW tank and want to put a downstairs bathroom in my house with HW to a sink and a walk in shower. The only issue is that it will be 25m from the HW tank and with such a long pipe run, it will take an age for the HW to get through.

I could put a power shower in - although I'm not a great fan of these and of course this still means I'll have a problem with the sink.

Is there such thing as a pump with built in heater that could heat mains water and pump to the shower / sink? I have plenty of room above the downstairs bathroom to play with?

Has anyone any other solutions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you could run a secondary return pipe from the cylinder (hot water tank)to new shower room .using a bronze pump

Do you mean pump the HW round a loop and back to the cylinder?
If so where would you connect the return loop to the cyclinder and also would the pump increase the water pressure at the shower, Im not sure it would.
the other thing is would you leave the pump running 24/7? this seems a bit inefficient?

the loop would be connected to an Essex Flange, which will need to be fitted, the pump could be controlled by a timer and/or a pipe stat. Shouldnt affect the pressure at shower

Sponsored Links
The return loop would be piped into the bottom of the cold feed to the cylinder. Also you would need to fit a single check valve on the return loop just after the bronze pump.Essex flange would be ideal for feed pipe.

Another option is Raychem heat maintenance tape, it would be easier to use on account of simply attaching alongside your existing pipework and making sure you have plenty of lagging. However, from what I've seen it's not cheap, and it doesn't solve your issues with pressure.

Rather than 25m, or twice, for a return loop most people would fit an electric shower and an electric undersink heater!

Tracer heating tape will probably cost about £50 a year to run and will need very good insulation on the pipe as well.

Why not consider a small unvented cylinder which is electrically heated if you want to spend more money?

If you really have a house 25m long then surely you should be able to afford to upgrade your heating and hot water system to an unvented?

Tony

25m long house... I wish
Its 12m x 8m an the Cylinder in one corner and downstairs bathroom in the opposite corner.

Next question is can I run the feed from a surrey flange and return to an essex flange?

also is it possible to get a power shower which you place out of site with say a remote controller on the wall?

Thanks for all the help so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back