downstairs lights tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
on sunday night my son flooded the upstairs bathroom (using the end of the bath as a slide ! :mad: ) and since then the downstairs lights keep tripping. there is a light on the ceiling directly below the bathroom. will it dry out or will i need to get someone out ?

Sponsored Links
In time, it will dry out.
But I would isolate the circuit, open the light fitting up at the ceiling rose and try drying them with a cloth, even the use of a hair dryer for gentle heat, might help speed the process along, but don't use anything with extreme heat that will damage the insulation on the cables, and make sure no other damage has been caused to the cables.
When isolating the circuit, you must prove the circuit is safe to work on (dead) before carrying any work out.

I'd also turn the radiator on in the down stairs area under the flood. If the water was enough to fill the ceiling rose and trip the rcd it's likely to be damp.

The heat will go someway to helping to dry out the residual moisture.

thanks for all the suggestions. removed the ceiling rose and noticed that around some of the wires it looked black and as if the wires had melted a little (the last time i checked the trip switch when it went off again sparks came from the light fitting) someone is coming out tomorrow to check it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back