Water leak from bathroom, downstairs light tripping.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of days back the shower partition leaked and flooded out the bathroom floor. Last night, the kitchen light underneath the bathroom tripped.

Took the bath panel off to have a look, and found damp floorboards. Also the baths overflow drain had been leaking beneath the U bend (second picture.)

Can't see any signs of a leak downstairs, and have turned off downstairs lights from breaker. Am running a dehumidifier next to damp area in bathroom.

Have spoken with electrician, he said that he could look at it today but replacing the fixture might not be done until the area is dry next week. He'd charge me an hourly rate for any visit. So I'm thinking might be better to wait a few days until dry, to keep costs down to one visit.

My concern in the immediate moment is electrical safety, if there's anything more that I should do?

275280084_288797276749150_3696885677687289251_n.jpg275283909_4876540829060301_2657679898876154430_n.jpg

Sponsored Links
Nothing more you can do. Mop up as much wet as you can in the ceiling void and wait for it to dry out properly under the floor. Water will run into a suitable place -usually between two joists and into a light fitting - and the (whatever it is that is) can then trip.

What the device that is disconnecting the power? It cannot be the lights themselves, I have never seen a light that trips.

Nothing more you can do. Mop up as much wet as you can in the ceiling void and wait for it to dry out properly under the floor. Water will run into a suitable place -usually between two joists and into a light fitting - and the (whatever it is that is) can then trip.

What the device that is disconnecting the power? It cannot be the lights themselves, I have never seen a light that trips.

The tripping occurred whenever I turned on the kitchen lights, they made a popping sound.

Tried every other light and socket in the house, all seemed normal. For safety, I'm leaving the downstairs lights off at the breaker. In terms of immediate safety, I'm wondering if theres any other danger.

Could water possible find its way to sockets? As I said, there is no sign or water downstairs...

Image number 2- why is the join covered with silicone?

I think you need a plumber, and not an electrician. Once the leak has been fixed, it is likely that the lights (once dry) will be fine.

Sponsored Links
Image number 2- why is the join covered with silicone?

I think you need a plumber, and not an electrician. Once the leak has been fixed, it is likely that the lights (once dry) will be fine.

Yes, good point re silicone. U bend doesn't seem to be leaking though, its the overflow. I wont use the bath/shower until all sorted.

Electrician recommended replacing whole light fitting, I'd like him to do a safety check just for my piece of mind. Then I'll get a plumber on the case.

Should I be concerned about the integrity of the floorboards?

The tripping occurred whenever I turned on the kitchen lights, they made a popping sound.

Tried every other light and socket in the house, all seemed normal. For safety, I'm leaving the downstairs lights off at the breaker. In terms of immediate safety, I'm wondering if theres any other danger.

Could water possible find its way to sockets? As I said, there is no sign or water downstairs...

On the balance of probability, if you remove the bulb that is tripping the circuit you will have no more tripping. That said, yeah, it is possible that a choc box (connection) got wet. Without seeing your home, I think it unlikely that the sockets will be affected. In the meantime, put a bin bag under the waste pipe.

Ok, I'll keep drying and book the electrician in for next week. And get a proper plumber in!

Yes, good point re silicone. U bend doesn't seem to be leaking though, its the overflow. I wont use the bath/shower until all sorted.

Electrician recommended replacing whole light fitting, I'd like him to do a safety check just for my piece of mind. Then I'll get a plumber on the case.

Should I be concerned about the integrity of the floorboards?

The water took the path of least resistance, ie it followed gravity and leaked out of the light fitting. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the flooring at this point.

Not the floorboards. More likely for a plasterboard ceiling to fail if it has had a soaking.

You still havent said what is tripping? MCB, RCD, RCBO, ???

Great, I have a lovely old asbestos artex ceiling. No sign of any leaking though.

I'll have a look at the breaker when I get home re what is tripping.

Last edited:
Not the floorboards. More likely for a plasterboard ceiling to fail if it has had a soaking.

You still havent said what is tripping? MCB, RCD, RCBO, ???

The RCD on the left tripped. As you can see I presently have the downstairs lights off, until electrician gets round.

Attachments

• 274763598_1324835351352330_5301926259503018634_n.jpg
    274763598_1324835351352330_5301926259503018634_n.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 56
The water took the path of least resistance, ie it followed gravity and leaked out of the light fitting. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the flooring at this point.

Thanks.

After a day with the dehumidifier, the boards looks a lot dryer. No sign on ingress downstairs. I'll get the electrician in next week to put new fittings in, just to be safe.

I'll try and sort out the baths overflow drain myself, fix the shower partition so that it doesn't week, then keep an eye on it. If all good I'll seal the panel back with CT1.

Only concern is the chipboard, its a little bit 'bumpy,' where its been damp. Also, the section under the U bend is a little swollen, though that might have been like that previously. The 'crater,' beneath the U bend is a little crumbly.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back