Had a leak onto living room light...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a shower leak, this resulted in some water coming throughou the living room lights. The fuse tripped and in darkness. I went down turned the downstairs lights fuse off, put power back on, fixed the shower problem then had a look at the light. There were a few drips still coming out. So as I have done before I left the lights power off over igut to dry out. This was 3 days ago. I have put the lights on, and when I switch the light switch on it still trips. I have had a look atthe fitting etc and there is no water there atall. It is a fan light. Is it possible the leak has damaged the fitting so eventhough it has dried out it has created a short?

Thanks

Bob

Sponsored Links
Yep, if you're sure it's completely dry, then the water may have damaged the fitting.

It might have rusted some steel screws for example and the rust might be causing a short, or it might even be that there is still water inside the workings of the fan.

That is a distinct possibility.
You could remove the fitting but keep the connection for the loop in and out or replace the fitting, then try the circuit again, to see if that is where your problem lies.

Ok thanks guys, I will take it completely down at the weekend and have a better look at it.

Thanks again

Bob

Sponsored Links
I had a shower leak,
That's OK. I know some people say it's unhygienic, but it all ends up in the same drains (and I'll bet a lot of them do it themselves anyway).

But seriously....

this resulted in some water coming throughou the living room lights....So as I have done before I left the lights power off over igut to dry out..
You really ought to fix the leak.

Under the floor, below the shower, there will be other cables and maybe some junction boxes.
If the recent flood wasa worse than the "usual" it is vey possible that one of the joints has filled up with water.

The leak is all fixed, and wasnt that bad either. I will look at the weekend, if its had it, I will put the original lfitting back in as only renting the house out.

So we all know water and electricity don't mix!

We had one today, a report from the fire service of smoke/steam issuing from a underground cable link box.

Water had got in and turned it into a huge electrode boiler (fed vis 400A fuses from separate substations.

Steam from the boiling water as it met the cold air
IMG_7216.jpg

After disconnection the melted remains
IMG_7218.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back