Room light not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The ceiling room light flickered and then went out. I checked the bulb on another light and it is working. I tried another bulb but the light still doesn't work. Fuses not tripped. I checked the connections of the bulb holder and at the ceiling rose and they are all ok. I connected another bulb holder but still no light. The room switch controls only this light. When I switch on, the brown wire becomes live but the blue stays dead even when a working bulb is used. What else can I check?

Sponsored Links
Electricity is colour blind, it does not care if the wire is red, blue, yellow, brown or black, the only colour which is reserved for one use is green/yellow.

So often the switch will have a brown and blue wire, in theroy should be a brown sleeve over the blue, but seems likely the switch has failed. However there are some switches which have provision for parking the neutral wire, so to be sure would need to look at markings on the switch.

What are you using to determine the brown wire is live ? You need to measure voltages present with a multimeter or a voltage tester with two probes

Reactions: CBW
Thank you Terry, I only use a screwdriver which lights up when the top is touch if in contact with live wire

Sponsored Links
Thank you Terry, I only use a screwdriver which lights up when the top is touch if in contact with live wire
They are not much use in establishing what the fault is. As said you need to do some voltage testing.
Can you show us some pics of the wiring / ceiling light ?

Not enough light but if it is no good I will try again

Attachments

• Light.jpg
    Light.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 52
Not much to go wrong there, other than both connector blocks screws being tight against the copper wires ,and the bare copper earth conductor should be sleeved in green/ yellow.
Is it a basic pendant and rose that you have removed ?

Yes, both metal to look ..old fashion. It was working for almost 20 years.

In case the fault is at the switch?

Attachments

• Light2.jpg
    Light2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 43
In case the fault is at the switch?

Attachments

• Light2.jpg
    Light2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 20
You can either obtain a testing instrument, as already advised ,or engage an electrician. Nothing visually looks out of the ordinary on the pics you have posted so far.

I suggest that with the power off, you try this: First and very important, mark the red on its own(this is your switched wire, Then put all red wires into one terminal.
when power is restored thi light may be on, indicating a faulty switch

Thank you for the advice. I tested the switch with the Draper screwdriver: when the switch is off, the top red wires are live but the bottom, also red wire is off. When I switch it on both bottom and top red wires are live. The switch only have red wires, the black are not connected to the switch. However, at the ceiling rose there is one red and one black. The red shows light on the Draper and the black remains dead whether the switch is off or on. Given that the switch has only red wires and the ceiling rose one red and one blue, maybe there is another connection in the loft that it is not healthy? I would be grateful for an opinion please.

Attachments

• Light5.jpg
    Light5.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Light4.jpg
    Light4.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 24

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back