Light fitting help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some help needed please !

I have removed an old light fitting at the top of our stairs (obviously isolating power from the fuse box first). The light is controlled by a switch upstairs and a switch at the bottom of the stairs.

The old fitting had no rose, just a brass base plate with 2 separate bulb holders. Entering from the ceiling were 2 sets of wires - brown & blue to one bulb holder, another brown & blue to the other, and a green/yellow earth connected to the brass plate itself.

My new b&q light fitting just has a connector block in it for 2 cables- one for live, 1 for neutral. How do I go about fitting this into the existing connections please ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help. The loft above is boarded with tongue and groove boards. The board above the fitting has loft ladders and some pipe work attached. So it would be difficult access, but it could be done if absolutely necessary. (I tried carefully rooting around in the hole in the ceiling, but could not feel any connector blocks etc. the wires have no slack to pull through at all).

Can you not pull the cables down through the hole?

If not, just connect the two browns to L,
two blues to N and
two earths together in a separate connector if not needed for the light..

Sponsored Links
So if I have got this correct, you have removed the old/existing light fitting.
And are now left with two sets of twin and earth coming from the ceiling?

If so, this is possibly the last lighting location on the circuit.
If you did not note down where they were positioned prior to removal you now need some test equipment to identify what the cables do.
It is likely the two browns are connected together in a loop and one of the blues is the neutral and the second blue is the switch live. Is there any brown identification sleeving on either of the blues?
But you do need to test to be sure and safe!

The two cables were connected to separate lamp holders.

In that case they could be jointed to the same box within the ceiling void, sounds like it could be flex. If (big if), the joint is sound and safe, it maybe possible then to connect both flex/cables to the new fitting.
But I personally would want to remove one of them.

Which I have now seen is your suggestion!

Thanks again for your help. Yes the wires were connected to two separate bulb holders within the one light fitting. Two cables- one twin & earth, and the other without a visible earth cable. The one earth was connected to the metal of the light fitting. Access to ceiling space is difficult.

I will try to connect both into the new light, as suggested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back