Lighting Help Please

Yep, you've found the answer. All 3 red wires need to be connected together in the same metallic block.
Can you get access from above?
It may be better to use a junction box and only have one cable down to the fitting.

Sponsored Links
That's a relief! Thank you everyone for your patience.

No there's no access from above. It'sd a flat with a different property above. The ceiling is concrete and the cavity is only about an inch and a half deep and two and a quarter inches diameter. I'll go and google to see if I can find the right kind of connector.

Out of interest as I've just read the answer.

The black wire (which is connected to the blue in the switch box) must be the Neutral 'supply' because ceres wrote that when he disconnected the blue at the rose the light did not work.

So the two blacks at the light are not connected to neutral without the blue.

Is there a particular name or description I should be looking for to join the reds. All I'm finding are the terminal strips like I've already got.

Sponsored Links
Just put all three in one hole of as small a terminal block as will fit.

You can get fancy modern ones but they will be too bulky.

Ah brilliant, thanks! I wondered about doing that. Watch this space!

All done and everything works now. Thanks to all who helped. Telling me to focus on the live connections made me think about the connector block and spot the problem. Silly mistake but I've learned a lot. Here's a picture just to prove it works.

View media item 36720
I'm sure I'll be back, got all the switches and sockets to replace next!

All done and everything works now. Thanks to all who helped. Telling me to focus on the live connections made me think about the connector block and spot the problem. Silly mistake but I've learned a lot. Here's a picture just to prove it works.

View media item 36720
I'm sure I'll be back, got all the switches and sockets to replace next!

What was the problem then?

Using a connector block that isolated the three live wires instead of joining them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back