refitting new lamps for old - which wire goes where?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I'm attempting to refit old 3 lamp lighting for new 3 lamp lighting in my lounge but the old cables to the ceiling rose are many more cables than the new lamps wiring. Both lights can be switched on and off from 2 locations.

The wiring to the rose is 3 grey cables. One has black, red and earth . 2 has black red and earth and 3 has red, black , earth and an extra yellow wire. They are housed in the following order in the the ceiling rose boxes l to r:

blue lamp wire, black 1, black 2/blue 3, red 1, red 2, red 3, yellow, brown lamp wire. All earths to earth plate.

The new 3 lamp wiring just has 3 browns into 1, 3 blues into 1 and an annoyong fixed strip for earth.

I'm assuming the extra leads are for switches but I've tried putting all reds togther, all blues and blacks togther and a spare for the yellow and all earths togther ina box but when I switch on the light it just stays on.

I don't want to try anyting alse as when I put the yellow into the greens - it blew!

Help!

Sponsored Links
hi

The wiring to the rose is 3 grey cables. One has black, red and earth . 2 has black red and earth and 3 has red, black , earth and an extra yellow wire. They are housed in the following order in the the ceiling rose boxes l to r:

blue lamp wire, black 1, black 2/blue 3, red 1, red 2, red 3, yellow, brown lamp wire. All earths to earth plate.

Where did the blue 3 come from?

V

Red and black (or brown and blue) do not necessarily indicate live and neutral on lighting circuits.

It sounds like a neutral has been fed to one of the switches, possibly to feed anolther light fitting elsewhere.

From your description, you will need an extra terminal to connect the red wires together, and to nothing else.

Black 1, black 2 and blue 3 connect to the blue connector of the light (the blue sounds like it could be the neutral feed to another light somewhere).

The yellow connects to the brown connector of the lamp. This would usually be sleeved red to indicate it is a switched live.

All the earths are connected together.

tickly

followed your advice and it didnt blow! However, it didnt switch on the light either, so i must be somewhere near OK! Any other thoughts?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Red and black (or brown and blue) do not necessarily indicate live and neutral on lighting circuits.

It sounds like a neutral has been fed to one of the switches, possibly to feed anolther light fitting elsewhere.

From your description, you will need an extra terminal to connect the red wires together, and to nothing else.

Black 1, black 2 and blue 3 connect to the blue connector of the light (the blue sounds like it could be the neutral feed to another light somewhere).

The yellow connects to the brown connector of the lamp. This would usually be sleeved red to indicate it is a switched live.

tickly

followed your advice and it didnt blow! However, it didnt switch on the light either, so i must be somewhere near OK! Any other thoughts?

cheers

TicklyT

hi

Where did the blue 3 come from?

V

good question. tickly t suggested something

(From your description, you will need an extra terminal to connect the red wires together, and to nothing else.

All the earths are connected together.)

which didnt blow the fuse but the light never came on either. Any suggestions

sorted! bloody bulb was bustd! thanks mate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back