HELP!!! Putting up new lights which wont switch off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Putting up a new 3 light semi flush pendant. An electrician had moved my light switch and removed the old light so the 4 cables that were in was just clumped together

4 red wires
3 black wires and 1 blue
4 earth plus a yellow wire

I wired up the live wires from the new light to the 4 red wires
plus wired up the 3 black wires and 1 blue to the neutral of the light
plus the 4 earth and yellow to a connector block

When switched fuse on lights came on OK but wouldnt go off when switched off at the Light Switch

Can anyone please help

Sponsored Links
My guess is that the red is the permanent live feed. If you have a permanent live feed connected to the fitting, then it will be on all the time regardless of the switch position. Connect all reds together and then check to see if yellow is live with switch on. If it is, this is the wire you connect to the L term of the fitting.

Need to be careful because you don't want a short.

Take off the switch and see what colours and cable type you have there - it should be the same (but not always) at the ceiling end. Hopefully you'll know then which wires in the ceiling go to the switch.

Alternatively, if you have a test meter, set it to continuity, turn the power off, switch the switch on and test each individual conductor against the others. When you have continuity (usually a beep with a display of zero)

you know that those wires are connected to the switch. One of those wires needs to be connected to perm live feed, and the other to L terminal of fitting.

Be safe, take care. Don't risk it with electricity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back