Room light not working

The black wires are permanently connected in the wall switch but they remain dead whether the switch is on or off

Sponsored Links
Given that the switch has only red wires and the ceiling rose one red and one blue, maybe there is another connection in the loft that it is not healthy? I would be grateful for an opinion please.
No other connections are necessary.

There are black wires in the switch back box.
I can't tell. There should be three; one of which will go to the light along with the single red from the switch.

As has been said your 'test screwdriver' is useless for testing and should probably go in the bin.

As you can see a multimeter costs very little and will allow you to prove what is actually happening and probably fix it.

Sponsored Links
The black wire should never light the screwdriver so at the moment it all looks to be testing correctly.
Please refit a good light and retest. If the red and black wires makes your tester glow you have a faulty neutral. If only red makes it glow it points to faulty light. Then it is worth linking all 3 reds as mentioned earlier.

Many thanks. I will follow your advice. Apologies for my ignorance but I have one question: the two reds on the top of the switch are constantly live and the bottom red comes on when I switch on. If I link all 3 reds of the rocker switch, will it not be permanently on?

Many thanks. I will follow your advice. Apologies for my ignorance but I have one question: the two reds on the top of the switch are constantly live and the bottom red comes on when I switch on. If I link all 3 reds of the rocker switch, will it not be permanently on?
Yes the reason for the test. Is to prove there is nothing wrong with the switch, using a tester such as yours can give unreliable results.
They are useful, I use them a lot but I'm familiar with the shortcomings

The red shows light on the Draper and the black remains dead whether the switch is off or on.

The black will remain 'dead' it should be at or close to earth potential. Testing the red, and there appearing to be voltage on it, suggests the fault is local to the ceiling rose, or flex drop, or lampholder.

The black will remain 'dead' it should be at or close to earth potential. Testing the red, and there appearing to be voltage on it, suggests the fault is local to the ceiling rose, or flex drop, or lampholder.
This is why I said to fit a good light as a high impedance, such as a faulty switch often does give a false reading if there is no load.

Thank you. I changed the flex drop and lampholder and ...it works! I tried again the same lamp, it came on for 5 seconds and went off. Tried it on a different lampholder and it is dead. A new bulb works OK. So, although initially even a new bulb did not work on the defective light, it now works. I assume it always was a defective economy bulb that gave five seconds of light when tested and eventually gave up the spirit. Problem solved!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back