Ceiling light stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello- the other day I flicked the switch to turn on my landing light and the bulb popped out of the socket, bounced down the stairs and smashed on the floor! The connecting part of the light bulb was still in socket so managed to get it out. I then stuck in a new bulb and surprise surprise it didn't work!

Yesterday I went and bought a new ceiling rose but rather than replace it I decided to replace the light socket part only as that only requires disconnecting the blue and brown wires.

I did that, stuck in the bulb and it didn't work! I tested the bulb in another fitting and it worked so ruled out the bulb.

What could be the problem??

Sponsored Links
The failing bulb has either tripped a circuit breaker or blown a fuse. Have you checked that nothing has tripped at the fuse box?

Yes everything is fine in fuse box ( probably at the time it tripped ) but all the other lights work fine.

Is it a dimmer switch you have, or an ordinary switch?

You say it's the landing, are there two switches you can try?

Sponsored Links
No dimmer but an upstairs and down stairs switch.
I just opened up ceiling rose to look at wires so i could show photo and i noticed the brown wire was loose!

I dont know whether it became loose after all the lessing around with it yesterday or this is why the bulb blew? The lampshade is one of those glass types so should probably remove it as maybe a little heavy for the cable.

Anyways light is now working so thanka for help!

Have a few more questions to post and will use this forum from now on as so much knowledge and experience!

As long as the cores are correctly routed around the plastic support lugs in the rose and the cores are terminated correctly to start with then upto 2kg is acceptable assuming a 0.5mm² drop flex.

Ah ok thanks for that info! Yes they are routed correctly and it isnt as heavy as that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back