living room light problem ! Plz Help !!

Could be the switch, however it could just as easily be the fitting blowing the switch.

Sponsored Links
Sorry posted before i saw your reply fella. Sorry i'm looking at the Schematic diagram thinking that 5amp thing is a fuse.

so it's probably the switch?!
No it's a fuse, which is at the CU, if you look at the diagram you will then see a switch after that, now that is a switch!

Sponsored Links
on the bottom picture of the switch, is it normal to only have one red/black/earth cable?

i need to nip out to pick the wife up, will back be shortly.

Is the switch not wired up properly? Will try get a better picture of the ceiling as well.

thanks up to know
:)

on the bottom picture of the switch, is it normal to only have one red/black/earth cable?
Not abnormal, ideally your earth should have a green/yellow sleeve on it and your black be marked up as a live conductor with a red tag or sleeve.
I assume the red cable was indicating voltage?
If you can turn the electric off, try linking the switch out and connect both red and black together in a connection strip, then power back up. Just to check your lights do work. No touchy cables while live though and touchy cables to anything else. IE back box or earth cable.
Then at least we know if the rest of circuit is operating and it's down to the switch.

Not abnormal, ideally your earth should have a green/yellow sleeve on it and your black be marked up as a live conductor with a red tag or sleeve.
I assume the red cable was indicating voltage?
If you can turn the electric off, try linking the switch out and connect both red and black together in a connection strip, then power back up. Just to check your lights do work. No touchy cables while live though and touchy cables to anything else. IE back box or earth cable.
Then at least we know if the rest of circuit is operating and it's down to the switch.

yea red had the power.
just going out now to get a strip....bit worried about putting the red and black together but if that's ok will do.

Check these diagrams out, it may help you!
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting[/QUOTE] - why haven't you looked at the info?

i might be stupid but i'm not ignorant mate, i have looked at the diagrams but can't make head nor tail of them. hence me being on here. thanks for your helpful comments thou

ok i've put both the wires together and nothing. I seem to have lost the power now (red wire) to the switch. I've also tried a new switch and still nothing.
again nothing has tripped on the consumer unit. this is all very strange as all the other lights work in the house.
please help !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back