Exceeding Maximum Rating of Light Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I only have one light fitting in my living room which uses G9 bulbs. The ones supplied are 40W and I believe this is the maximum rating. Problem is that the room isn't as bright as I'd like, so I was wondering: how badly wrong could it go if I used 60W bulbs instead? :confused:

Sponsored Links
A 60w lamp generates more heat, and you risk the lampholder melting. If there is space in the fitting then you could fit a CFL (energy saving) lamp equivalent to 60w, as these consume less energy than the equivalent incandescent lamp and produce less heat.

I've never seen a CFL equivalent of a G9 fitting - does this exist?

DanAir said:
I've never seen a CFL equivalent of a G9 fitting - does this exist?

I have to admit that I didn't fually read your question, and just assumed we were talking about a generic edison or bayonet cap fitting. You probably wont be able to get a G9 CFL, I'd get a new light fitting if you really must have a higher wattage lamp.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back