5-7 Watt Maximum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just bought a new table lamp and the instructions on the box state that the maximum LED bulb wattage is 7w. I believe that this is the equivalent of the old 40w bulb and it’s just not bright enough. Is there any reason why should not exceed the suggested wattage?j
818B09E0-FCD1-47FC-910C-2B3BCE7C1BE7.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Have just bought a new table lamp and the instructions on the box state that the maximum LED bulb wattage is 7w.
Ok.

I believe that this is the equivalent of the old 40w bulb and it’s just not bright enough.
The "equivalent" refers to light output (obviously 7W is about a sixth of 40W so not equivalent in any way).
40W incandescent bulbs weren't very bright.

Is there any reason why should not exceed the suggested wattage?jView attachment 245991
I would think not but I don't know for certain.

Someone else on the forum might have come across the lamps before.

The 40 Watt maximum is set by how much heat the lamp can tolerate. With an incandescent 40 Watt lamp there will be about 30 to 38 Watts of heat generated.

Hence a 30 Watt LED lamp could be fitted before the heat was excessive for the lamp.

But the maximum is stated at 7 watts. Clearly 30w is more than 7.

You have two choices,

1. Contact the manufacturer and why it can only take 7 watts.
2. Take it back as unsuitable, though the retailer does not have to take it back as it is not faulty.

Sponsored Links
Maybe the 7 Watt limit is set by a power supply module that is part of the lamp or part of the plug.

I have run a 12W LED lamp in a table lamp designed for a 3W LED lamp for 5+ years and it is fine.

I have a lampshade on the hall pendant with a 13W GLS LED and the shade is rated to 5W LED. The light is on 24/7/365. The shade is fine.

I have run a 12W LED lamp in a table lamp designed for a 3W LED lamp for 5+ years and it is
I have a strong suspicion that some of these companies haven't got a clue what they are talking about, since I suspect that, even if one wanted to, it would be very hard to design a 'lamp' (proper definition - table lamp, standard lamp :) ), or light fitting, or shade/whatever, which could not safely tolerate more than a 3W 'lamp' (the other definition :) ) in it!

I suspect that some of these ridiculously low 'ratings' result from naïve (stupid!) 'conversion' from an incandescent lamp/bulb with similar light output.

Kind Regards, John

But the maximum is stated at 7 watts. Clearly 30w is more than 7.

You have two choices,

1. Contact the manufacturer and why it can only take 7 watts.
2. Take it back as unsuitable, though the retailer does not have to take it back as it is not faulty.
There is a third option and that is to keep the lamp! And since my wife ordered it online and really likes the lamp, that is the option that we are going for.
The first pic below shows the actual lamp and although I can see the second image which is shown alongside the actual ad, I haven’t a clue what it means.
93FD7789-384C-4B1F-8102-AE96A0CAFE3E.jpeg 8454873C-3241-4807-A204-51BA7293BF3A.jpeg

Last edited:
I can't think of any reason why a lamp should have a different rating due to type of bulb other than in-rush with some fluorescent versions. It does seem some one has looked at the equivalent chart when not really applicable.

However I find with very local lamps bulbs sizes rarely need to be over 5 watt, so table and standard lamps tend to be 5 watt, ceiling lamps need to be higher output, my living room 8 x 6 watt in ceiling lamp.

The rules say consideration should be given to manufacturers instructions, not blind following of their instructions, and when you get a battery operated device with instructions on how to fit a plug it shows how manufacturers are not that careful when writing the instructions.

So if the instructions said 700 lumen and 40 watt maximum then it would make sense, some thing in the lamp can't take over a set amount of light and set amount of heat or current. But 7 watt = between 550 and 700 lumen so if there is a problem with light output it would be written as a lumen limit not watts.

As JohnW2 says, this is very likely a blind 'conversion' from a 40W incandescent bulb without any additional thought.

There are occasions where a lower rated LED bulb would be specified, such as in an enclosed downlighter with little ventilation.

In your case, you have a well ventilated lamp with heat able to escape upwards and out of the way.

Fitting a higher wattage LED seems very doable, but at your own risk and at the cost of voiding the warranty ;)

Some IKEA lights don't work when the maximum load is exceeded. One of the pendants I bought just had a PTC in the lamp base to stop you putting in a higher power lamp.

I did phone the supplier and the agent suggested that I should try a higher wattage bulb. However, when I asked if this might not be too hot for the shade, (what do I know), the reply was, (Oh, you may be right, better not then!). She also offered a refund if I cared to send it back.

This looks like yet another example of manufacturers instructions being wrong.

You only suspect that ?
Unlike some who go to the other extreme in their assertions, I tend to be more cautious/'diplomatic' - not the least because when I do 'assert', it sometimes transpires that my assertion was incorrect :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back