living room lights

Is there an earth at the lights, if so take a reading from line (live) to earth, I suspect you have a neutral disconnected somewhere.

Sponsored Links
unfortunatley my phone wont connect to my laptop for some reason.

I'l try and explain it better. The first spotlight has a short brown and a short blue coming straight from the bulb holder onto a piece of terminal black. joined to the brown wire is two red wires. joined to the blue is two black wires.

the second spot is exactly the same but with single black and reds.

I have trieed the two red ones in the switch the other way round but to no avail

Has this light system ever worked - have you seen it work - not been told it worked?

You say you have 230v at the switch but not at the light. You can test continuity of the red wires - Turn off the Power!
At the switch join both red wires together in a terminal block. Set your meter to low ohms and at the first spotlight test for continuity between the two red wires - if the switch is on you should get a low ohm reading - when the switch is of you should get an open circuit.

I still think there is a jb between the switch and the first spotlight. Anyway the continuity test will inform you whether or not you have break in the cable.

But if i join the two wires in the switch I have completely shorted it out?

If there are only two wires at the switch ad you short them out you would have done the same job as a properly functioning switch.

Is there an earth at the lights, if so take a reading from line (live) to earth, I suspect you have a neutral disconnected somewhere.

no, no earth. I have only been able to measure to black (neutral i have presumed)

Sponsored Links
Sorry, having thought about the continuity test if as I suspect that your switch is being fed power from a jb and not the spotlight then a continuity test of the two red wires at the spotlight will not work.

Do you have an earth wire at the switch and at the spotlight fitting?

If so, then you will need to pick one of the red wires at the switch and join it with the earth wire. Then at the spotlight fitting test between the red wire(s) and the earth - you should find one pair that give you a low ohm reading if not then swop the reds at the switch and do the same.

Can you see if there is an earth that has been cut back on the cables? Is there an earth at the switch?

Can you see if there is an earth that has been cut back on the cables? Is there an earth at the switch?

There is an earth at the switch but none in the lights, no sign of cut wires just one flat grey 2 core (with a red and a black) and two single cores. (one red, one black)

There is an earth at the switch but none in the lights, no sign of cut wires just one flat grey 2 core (with a red and a black) and two single cores. (one red, one black)

Do you have any spare cable - if so you can make a link at the switch between one of the red cables and one conductor of the spare cable and then at the spotlight test between the spare cable conductor and the red cable their - we are trying to establish which one is the switch live to the first spotlight.

Do you have any spare cable - if so you can make a link at the switch between one of the red cables and one conductor of the spare cable and then at the spotlight test between the spare cable conductor and the red cable their - we are trying to establish which one is the switch live to the first spotlight.

unfortunately not. I can get some from work tomoro tho. I can see your logic and agree that i need to do this.

Its as if the switched wire in the dimmer, doesnt go to the lights anymore

Things to do -

put both wires at the switch into a connector block or one terminal of the light switch, this will rule out a duff switch

check other lights on the same circuit, that would be for instance all the lights downstairs for loose connections, particularly on the neutrals, give each wire a tug to make sure it hasn't snapped.

double check that no earths have been snipped off, normally right where the grey sheath ends and the wires start protruding

make sure that no wires have been poked up into the ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back