living room lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all this is my first post on this forum although I have been a bit of a lurker until now

My question.. The lights in my living room have not worked for few years now although they used to before i moved in, apparently they stopped when the dimmer switch got knocked and broke one day.

I fitted a new switch the day i moved in but the lights still didn't work so not knowing what i was doing I've left them alone until tonight;
Behind the switch is two red wires. Using one of them 'light up' screwdrivers I found one to be permanent so i put this on the common of the dimmer and the other in L1, then i tested the switched wire and that lights up and goes off when you press the switch. Working yes?

So now i went up to the spotlight (one of two), unclipped it and found the terminals, the red wire does indeed llight up when i turn on the dimmer switch but not as bright as it does when i test it at the switch. No matter where the dimmer control was.

And the light bulbs are brand new !!

Any help would be so appreciated we need lights in our living room!

Sponsored Links
With a multimeter you would be able to check the voltages at the switch and at the light but this will require competance and confidence.

In the absence of this you could safely isolate and check all connections (particularly where you have re-terminated for screwed insulation)

Bin the neon screwdriver !

To test circuits a neon screwdriver is about the same use as a chocolate fire guard.

Get a proper tester or better still get someone in.

Neon screwdrivers do have their place but that is not to test circuits with.

Yes i thought i may get told about the screwdriver! Its ok though i can get a meter from work tomoro and i know how to use one.

So what happens when I find out that I've lost voltage from the switch to the spot? New wires or would it be possible that both the spots are knacked?

Sponsored Links
You could have burnt out wiring in the lampholders which could have shorted and fried the original switch !

You could have burnt out wiring in the lampholders which could have shorted and fried the original switch !

sounds reasonable, I shall get the meter out tomoro night and get back to you, thanks to all who have replyed

EXACTLY what cables and what wires do you have at each light fitting?
Where does each wire connect to?

hmmmm. brought home a meter and apparently I have a 370 volts running in both the lighting circuit and the kitchen sockets!

Time for the bin Mr Meter

Hello.

Right I have a new meter and am measuring a nice 240v on the common wire behind the switch.
And i can successfully switch this voltage onto the other red wire. Switch is good.

There is two spotlights in the roof. The one closest to the switch has 2 red wires and two black wires. The other has one red, one black. A simple parallel circuit yes?

But i cant measure a voltage on any of the red wires in the lights????

I am measuring across the red to black (i assume the black is neutral?) and i have disconnected the wires from their terminals before measuring.

Please help

I cant see where this switched wire goes off to as it disappears off within the wall, and i can't continuity check the spot wires because my meter leads are no where near long enough

please help!!

I cant see where this switched wire goes off to as it disappears off within the wall, and i can't continuity check the spot wires because my meter leads are no where near long enough

please help!!

Firstly, you have two red wires at the switch (Try swopping them around) you may have the switch wire mixed up with live wire. Also is there a terminal block there by chance and any other wires?

At the first light you have two black wires (neutral loop?) and two red wires - how are they arranged in the spotlight - a photograph would be helpful.

If the first spotlight is the first from the switch then I would expect a live from the loop, a live to the switch and and a switch live from the switch which goes to the live on the spotlight and then onto the live on the next spot light. So at the first spotlight there is a wire missing.

Alternatively there is a junction box between the switch and the spotlight.

unfortunatley my phone wont connect to my laptop for some reason.

I'l try and explain it better. The first spotlight has a short brown and a short blue coming straight from the bulb holder onto a piece of terminal black. joined to the brown wire is two red wires. joined to the blue is two black wires.

the second spot is exactly the same but with single black and reds.

I have trieed the two red ones in the switch the other way round but to no avail

unfortunatley my phone wont connect to my laptop for some reason.

I'l try and explain it better. The first spotlight has a short brown and a short blue coming straight from the bulb holder onto a piece of terminal black. joined to the brown wire is two red wires. joined to the blue is two black wires.

the second spot is exactly the same but with single black and reds.

I have trieed the two red ones in the switch the other way round but to no avail

Has this light system ever worked - have you seen it work - not been told it worked?

You say you have 230v at the switch but not at the light. You can test continuity of the red wires - Turn off the Power!
At the switch join both red wires together in a terminal block. Set your meter to low ohms and at the first spotlight test for continuity between the two red wires - if the switch is on you should get a low ohm reading - when the switch is of you should get an open circuit.

I still think there is a jb between the switch and the first spotlight. Anyway the continuity test will inform you whether or not you have break in the cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back