living room lights

sorry yes i have just done all you said. i can't see anything wrong with any of the other lights. The other half has just got in she said they went bang about 8 years ago! another thing she said is that there used to be a double switch where the single dimmer is now. wether that makes a difference or not i dont know

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
There must be a junction box elsewhere, probably hidden in the ceiling.
The cable on the lights looks like rubber, in which case it is decades overdue for replacement.

they arent rubber thats just a black sleeving, all the wires are grey (PVC or similar i think)

Ok, the pics aint great, i think you need to check all the other lights downstairs and try and find a single neutral that is disconnected or perhaps in the c/u.

They are, however your must remember how these lights are linked to the rest in your property.

I.e a loose connection at the last light would cause this, or a loose connection at the innaccessible junction box (which you must have).

they are wired like that, but you havent managed to verify if you have a neutral at the light, which is why you need to test to a known proven earth or neutral from live at the light

i see. and thats why i cant measure voltage on the red wire at the lights because there probably isnt a neutral. i get you now i do apologise. hmmmm. but all the other connections downstairs are good. iv checked.

this mystery junction box more than likely holds the answer then. There is no chance I'm pulling up carpet and floorboards tho...

is this the end of the line?

not the end of the line, i would recheck each light, you can trace the cables around with patience. Do all of the lights downstairs have two neutrals and one live?

yes. apart from the kitchen which has 3 blacks but there are an extra two spots above the cooker which that would account for?

One way to make sure that all connections are good is to take them apart and remake them all again, you can check the live at the light by getting a fly lead from the earth in the switch and measuring to that.

I will get a fly lead tomoro and, re-make all the connections. But for now its time i went bed and i'l get back on here same time tomoro no doubt!

Can i say a massive thankyou to 1John and everyone else who has posted a reply on here tonight, you are a credit to a fantastic forum.

Thank you, adam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back