Light switch stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first post here, I have a basic understanding of electrics.
I have a 3 gang dimmer light switch in my living room, i just moved into the flat 6 months ago. The top button/dimmer no longer activates one set of lights. There is a separate toggle switch which also turns on/off the same set of lights but it also no longer activates the lights. The fuse switch was not "turned off" hence it doesnt appear to be an issue with the fuse. The same fuse switch appears to control all lights in the same room, some of which are now working some are not.
The bottom button/dimmer on the same 3 gang dimmer is still working and turns on/off another set of lights in the same room. The middle button/dimmer has never turned anything on/off hence I think it is not wired up.
Do i need to buy a new 3 gang dimmer and get an electrician in to replace it, or could the wiring from the top dimmer be moved to the middle (unused) dimmer?
Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The bottom button/dimmer on the same 3 gang dimmer is still working and turns on/off another set of lights in the same room. The middle button/dimmer has never turned anything on/off hence I think it is not wired up. ... Do i need to buy a new 3 gang dimmer and get an electrician in to replace it, or could the wiring from the top dimmer be moved to the middle (unused) dimmer?
Dimmers do die - sometimes just because a bulb/lamp dies. If the dimmer is the problem and middle dimmer of the 3 really is not connected to anything, then the electrician could probably move the light in question to that. If it is wired up, the electrician will be able to advise and supply whatever replacement is needed - or trace the cause of the fault, and rectify, as necessary, if the dimmer is not the problem.

Do I take it that you've checked that it's not just the bulbs/lamps that have died?

Do you own your flat? If it's rented, then it would really be for the landlord to get this problem sorted out (and you might not be allowed by your tenancy agreement to arrange/do it yourself).

Kind Regards, John

hi john, sorry that link isnt working for me. its just a basic 3 gang dimmer switch, mounted vertically. if there is a fuse in the dimmer that has blown then why is the bottom button still activating lights but not the top? or are there three fuses inside. I havent opened to check.

3 gang...top dimmer.

Have you got something like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/varilight...g - Lighting&gclid=CIC4oKqH2sECFcKWtAod_G0ATA

mounted vertically?

Could there be a fuse in the dimmer?

The one you describe with a separate rocker switch might be Volex branded and have a BS546 fuse fitted.

Sponsored Links
thanks John, i may need to get someone in to assess correctly (i am owner). i hadn't checked bulbs, the switch controls about 6 downlights and 4 other standard bulbs. if one blows could it affect the whole system? i've never seen that happen before.......
i'll check the bulbs tomorrow in the daylight.
thankyou

The bottom button/dimmer on the same 3 gang dimmer is still working and turns on/off another set of lights in the same room. The middle button/dimmer has never turned anything on/off hence I think it is not wired up. ... Do i need to buy a new 3 gang dimmer and get an electrician in to replace it, or could the wiring from the top dimmer be moved to the middle (unused) dimmer?
Dimmers do die - sometimes just because a bulb/lamp dies. If the dimmer is the problem and middle dimmer of the 3 really is not connected to anything, then the electrician could probably move the light in question to that. If it is wired up, the electrician will be able to advise and supply whatever replacement is needed - or trace the cause of the fault, and rectify, as necessary, if the dimmer is not the problem.

Do I take it that you've checked that it's not just the bulbs/lamps that have died?

Do you own your flat? If it's rented, then it would really be for the landlord to get this problem sorted out (and you might not be allowed by your tenancy agreement to arrange/do it yourself).

Kind Regards, John

thanks John, i may need to get someone in to assess correctly (i am owner). i hadn't checked bulbs, the switch controls about 6 downlights and 4 other standard bulbs. if one blows could it affect the whole system? i've never seen that happen before.......
If there are that many bulbs, and at least most of them were working before they all stopped working, it's extremely unlikely that they all have died - and one dying would not, per se, stop the others working. However, as I said, one bulb dying can sometimes kill a dimmer - so that may well be the most likely explanation. It shouldn't take an electrician long to get the problem diagnosed and rectified.

Kind Regards, John

agreed that its very unlikely all bulbs died. all were working fine until the dimmer died. its weird though that the alternate toggle switch ALSO does not work anymore.......

If there are that many bulbs, and at least most of them were working before they all stopped working, it's extremely unlikely that they all have died - and one dying would not, per se, stop the others working. However, as I said, one bulb dying can sometimes kill a dimmer - so that may well be the most likely explanation. It shouldn't take an electrician long to get the problem diagnosed and rectified.

Kind Regards, John

agreed that its very unlikely all bulbs died. all were working fine until the dimmer died. its weird though that the alternate toggle switch ALSO does not work anymore.......
When you talk about the 'alternate toggle switch', exactly how did that work? Did it enable you to switch the lights on if the dimmer was 'off' and/or switch the lights off if they had been turned on by the dimmer, or both, or what what?

Kind Regards, John

Yes i could use it to turn on/off alternatively to the dimmer switch. All scenarios you mention.

When you talk about the 'alternate toggle switch', exactly how did that work? Did it enable you to switch the lights on if the dimmer was 'off' and/or switch the lights off if they had been turned on by the dimmer, or both, or what what?

Kind Regards, John

Yes i could use it to turn on/off alternatively to the dimmer switch. All scenarios you mention.
In that case, it's functioning would probably be dependent on the dimmer switch remaining 'intact' - so if (as we suspect) the dimmer died, it's probable that the toggle switch would also stop working.

Kind Regards, John

Hi SBU

Very few dimmers have fuses built in. But the switch you described sounded like one of them.

There is one fuse per dimmer.

Can you post a picture of your switch?

hi again, can the 3rd button/dimmer still work if the fuse is blow? i'm not sure it would work if there is one fuse for the whol gang. Or are you saying there are 3 fuses in a 3 gang dimmer?
picture is attached, thank you!

Hi SBU

Very few dimmers have fuses built in. But the switch you described sounded like one of them.

There is one fuse per dimmer.

Can you post a picture of your switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back