Light not working properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have changed my 2 gang dimmer switch in my bedroom for a leading edge one which is better as there is no buzzing noise. There are 2 lights in my bedroom and two 2 gang light switches. The 2 gang dimmer is next to the door on the wall and the other standard 2 gang switch is next to the bed on the wall. The problem is, now that I have wired up the new dimmer, when I turn the lights off next to the bed by the switch on the wall, the dimmer switch next to the door doesnt turn on of off. When I switch the bedroom lights on by the bed the dimmer switch can turn on and off. There are 8 wires behind the dimmer switch 2 red, 2 blue and 2 yellow, and 2 yellow and brown in one sleeve. I put the blue wires in L1, the yellow in L2 and the red in the x symbol and the earth in the screw in the metal box. What have I done wrong?

Attachments

• 20240413_103240.jpg
    20240413_103240.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 45
Sponsored Links
Is the yellow and brown cpc/earth? You may also need an earth/cpc going to the switch.

In the main, although not always, the com wires are the same colour on both switches of the pair, so need to see how other switch of the pair is wired. There is no standard colour code or even way to wire, both of these are valid methods. And that is for non electronic switches.
two-way-real.jpg
two-way-school-boy-cables.jpg
Where electronic switches are used, then there are even more options, often we have a master and slave switch. But my diagrams show three wires between switches, but some electronic versions only need two, in fact some are completely wireless.

Sponsored Links
Thanks so much for your reply and your diagram. I will have a look at the other switch by the bed. I did take it off yesterday and remember seeing black and red wires so it is different to the switch by the door.

I didnt understand the diagram no :( but will take a photo of the other socket hopefully some point this evening. Will that help?

Will that help?
Probably.

In the meantime, can you verify that the three wires from each cable go to the same switch.

Whilst we cannot see the cables and the wires are tangled, it looks to me like the reds might be swapped.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
The red was swapped so have swapped it over so that now all three colours go to one of the purple boxes at the back and the other 3 colours go into the purple box next to it. The same issue is still there though.

These are photos of the switch next to bed. There are 4 red wires and 2 black.

Attachments

• 20240413_155257.jpg
    20240413_155257.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240413_155236.jpg
    20240413_155236.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 29
2 reds and a black on one side and 2 reds and a black on the other.

2 reds and a black on one side and 2 reds and a black on the other.
That's a pity - and unusual.

Obviously the red/blue/yellow must be connected elsewhere - possibly at the light.

If that is the case then I would have connected the red to the line(live) wire so it would not be COM.

Try swapping the red and yellow.

I was with my dad when we did this and I suggested we take a photo but he said he didn't need it! The yellow and brown is earth yes and I have screwed it at the back of the metal box. The old dimmer was working ok before so am guessing it may be the wiring on the new dimmer.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back