Light not getting power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am a bit puzzled that one of my lights is not getting power at either light switch.
The light is at the top of the stairs controlled by a light switch at the bottom and another one at the top of the stairs.
Both switches are doubles with the bottom one also controlling living room light (still works as normal) and the top one also controlling the bathroom light (still works as normal).
I have taken the wires out of both switches and tested them with neither giving out any power. The wires for living room and bathroom are giving out power as normal.
The fuse box isn't tripped and I am at a loss as too what is causing it.
Any input would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20220830_152017.jpg
    20220830_152017.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220830_151959.jpg
    20220830_151959.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220830_151953.jpg
    20220830_151953.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links
When you say “not giving out power” how have you determined this?

The problem is more likely to be at the light, rather than the switches.
I guess(hope) that you checked the bulb?!
Also that you were careful to replace the wires you took off?

Have you had any sort of work done in the house that might have caused this?

When you say “not giving out power” how have you determined this?

The problem is more likely to be at the light, rather than the switches.
I guess(hope) that you checked the bulb?!
Also that you were careful to replace the wires you took off?

Have you had any sort of work done in the house that might have caused this?
Have a multimeter which is showing no voltage. Shows a voltage for the other light at the switches.
I am in the process of fitting wireless light switches. It was working but something has had a knock on effect. Not sure what though.

Sponsored Links
Can't find the source. I am pulling up floorboards to try and trace it but not found it yet.
Traced the wire from one switch to the other but the wire that feeds power to them disappears in to a wall I can't access. I would be surprised if there was a junction box hidden between that point and the fuse box.

That’s the clue then. Go to where you have caused the problem.

Ps when you tested for voltage, between which two points did you make the test?
I have put things back as they were and still no power. Changed bulbs, bulb being used works in other light fittings so didn't blow.

When you check voltage at the fitting, what are the readings:

L to N

L to E

E to N ?

Have a multimeter which is showing no voltage. Shows a voltage for the other light at the switches.
I am in the process of fitting wireless light switches. It was working but something has had a knock on effect. Not sure what though.

Whilst working at a customer's house a while ago I came across something slightly similar.

The live running down to the switch had been broken by the face plate screw when the electricians fitted the new switches.

It might be a good idea to buy a non contact volt pen so that you can check for internal cable breaks.

We have a winner. The hours lost due to a 2cm piece of bridging wire that I forgot about ‍♂️♂️♂️
Well, what can one say. You did say:
I have put things back as they were and still no power.
And the link would have been combining up a live connection, so you certainly were less than diligent in your voltage testing.
Maybe the suggestion of one of those non contact magic wands might be a better tool for you.

No apology for the sarcasm :LOL:

Glad it’s working now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back