ceiling lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have 2 ceiling lights in living room each has its own switch but only one works and there is no power going to the switch for the second one.
also both bedroom lights dont work
top of stair light works and bathroom light works (bathroom down stairs) down stairs hall light not working and both outside lights not working.
tried switching mcb's on and off to isolate circuits but cant find which lights are on what circuit

this is driving me crazy, can any one help me to figure out where the prblem lies

Sponsored Links
Do you have two different circuits for upstairs and downstairs lighting?
Has this problem just occurred and has any work been carried out either on the circuits or around the house?
Do you have an RCCB at the consumer unit, will have a test button on it, that may have tripped and need resetting.

It could be that all lights are on same circuit and either a live or neutral has become loose or broken and that is why part of the circuit works and part does not.
Need to check at lighting points.
I would start at the two lights, one that does work and the one that does not in living room. Isolate circuit prior to removing any covers.

i have 2 rcd's labeled lights but as far as i can tell there i not seperate circuits for up and down stairs as ive tripped them 1 at a time but the living room and kitchen are not on the same circuit.
i dont have a test button on the consumer unit.

i will test all the connections 1 light at a time, just hope its not a brocken wire some where as its ex council house and half of the wiring is old twin wire and copper earth

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back