replacing and adding switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

i'm a bit confused with my stairs and hall way lighting.

at present i have a 3 light switch at the bottom of my stairs, 2 of the switches work a ceiling light at each end of the hall and the middle switch is part of a two way switch for the light at the top of the stairs.
at the top of my stairs i have a single 2 way switch

what i am now looking to do is. replace the down stairs switch so that only 1 switch works both the hall lights and 1 works the stairs light and 1 also works a light for me newly built porch, which will also be fitted with a single 2 way.

the 2 way single switch up stairs i now wish to replace with a double 2 way
to work both the stairs and the hall way lights.
will i need to run extra wiring to the up stairs light?

i would appreciate some one help..

Thanks..

Terry

Sponsored Links
in reverse yes.

you will have to run a 3 core and earth from dowstairs to upstairs switch to operate downstairs lights. you will also need to rewire the downstairs lights (its easier)

run a twin and earth from front hall light to new light on porch (put new light on this cable in porch

other end of cable connect to where 1st hall light is connected to (use a 4 way junction box)

run a twin and earth from 2nd hall light to first, put hall light on this new cable

at other end coonect it to the two cores that go to the actual light (i didn't mention the earths in any of this)

to do all this you will have to take floor boards up.

also before you do any of it draw it on paper and read my signature

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
:D just dont rush

I would suggest that unless your need is very urgent that you leave it a few months to when the days are longer and you are under less time pressure to get the lights back on...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back