Upstairs/downstairs switch issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double switch down stairs which works my hall light, and the stair light. A single switch up stairs which allows me to switch on or off the stairs light. Currently the switch works the hall light and allows me to switch on the stair light, but when I go up the stairs to switch the light off I can't then switch it back on from downstairs.
Please see the photos of the switches, double is down stairs working stairs and hall light, upstairs single allowing to switch on and off, but no allowing it the now.
IMG_20240316_135327.jpg
IMG_20240316_135353.jpg

Sponsored Links
Downstairs - do the red,blue and yellow of the upstairs switch all come from the same cable and do the red and black of downstairs switch come from the other cable?

Yes they do.
Red/yellow/blue from one cable and the red and black from another cable

Ok.

There must be connections somewhere else - possibly at the light or in a junction box.

So it could be a loose connection somewhere or just a faulty switch.

Sponsored Links
I don't have a multimeter, they used to work properly, but my dad disconnected to paper the wall and it hasn't worked since. Check the light wiring, and try a new switch?

I don't have a multimeter, they used to work properly, but my dad disconnected to paper the wall and it hasn't worked since. Check the light wiring, and try a new switch?
Send a picture of the 2-gang switch which shows each WIRE emerging from each CABLE, please.

picture of the light switch upstairs
he may have put the wires back incorrectly

maybe the yellow and red wrong - BUT if you look at the other switch , it maybe obvious how the wire should be connected

picture of the light switch upstairs
he may have put the wires back incorrectly

maybe the yellow and red wrong - BUT if you look at the other switch , it maybe obvious how the wire should be connected
Both shown in OP.

I have a double switch down stairs which works my hall light, and the stair light. A single switch up stairs which allows me to switch on or off the stairs light. Currently the switch works the hall light and allows me to switch on the stair light, but when I go up the stairs to switch the light off I can't then switch it back on from downstairs.
Please see the photos of the switches, double is down stairs working stairs and hall light, upstairs single allowing to switch on and off, but no allowing it the now.
View attachment 336843View attachment 336844
This feels to me like the yellow has been swapped with one of the other colours.

Downstairs - do the red,blue and yellow of the upstairs switch all come from the same cable and do the red and black of downstairs switch come from the other cable?
Yes they do.
Red/yellow/blue from one cable and the red and black from another cable
Ok.

There must be connections somewhere else - possibly at the light or in a junction box.

So it could be a loose connection somewhere or just a faulty switch.
With both of the 2-way switches pictured, there is only ONE wire on each terminal !!!!

As EFLImpudance wrote,
"There must be connections somewhere else - possibly at the light or in a junction box."

For further information, please acquaint yourself as to how Multi-Way (Multi-Location) switching works.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiway_switching might be a good place to start.)

You should see from that that somewhere it is necessary to have TWO other wires connected.

You do need to have a (preferably low-impedance analog) meter available to check for
"Permanent" Line Voltage
AND
"Switched" Line Voltage"
at each of the six Switch-Terminals - in the four possible combinations of the switches.

Ok guys, thanks for the posts. For a bit of clarity, on the double switch, the red and black cable work the hall light on it own(this works fine). The red, blue and yellow cable is for the stair lights, which is wired identical to the single switch upstairs(this is the issue, I can switch the stair light on from downstairs, when I go upstairs I can switch it off, BUT, if I then want to switch it back on from downstairs it doesn't work, unless I switch it back on from upstairs first. I'm completely lost with this to be fair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back