Downstairs shower room, basic plumbing advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

As you might have read in previous posts, I'm planning installing a downstairs shower room. The original plan was to knock up the stud wall etc myself and pay a plumber to install all the plumbing.

However now I've really got my teeth into stripping out the house, I've noticed how poor the routing of the copper piping is. An example being some piping that is actually fasted to the door frame in the living room. Thus I've spent the day reading, watching videos, and pricing up the gear I'll need to redo some of this piping myself. The plan being to be able to cut/bend/extend and re-solder some sections, to enable it to be boxed properly (ie not fastened to door frames and the like).

This has got me thinking about whether I should have a go at doing the shower room myself, which presents a big (possibly really dumb lol) first question.

There is a waste pipe and hot/cold water pipes in the area where the new shower room will be (as it will be at the near end of the kitchen, just off the hall). Could I simply turn the mains water/boiler off, drain the pipes, cut them, and add a T-Section at this point, taking the hot and cold water to the new shower room? This seems logical in my head, but I'm thinking it couldn't be this simple could it?

I'm ready and waiting to be slapped down by a pro telling me it'll bugger up the pipe pressure or something else lol. My apologies if there's a walkthrough somewhere, kids are noisy as hell and I'm struggling to find anything.

Sponsored Links
If it's just for a shower room there should be no problem taking feeds off the existing hot and cold pipework to the kitchen if that's most convenient. You might find that if there's a sudden demand in the kitchen it affects the shower temperature a bit, but a good-quality thermostatic mixer should be able to cope with that. You could probably use the existing waste pipe too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back