Downstairs toilet tidy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the place for such a question or ideas but I'm abit of a novice in diy And new to the site.

Need some advice recently changed our loo downstairs bit of a cowboy job unfortunately.

1. The old hole was too big for the new toilet slightly and there is a gap. What can I cover that with?

2. How can I tidy up the back of the toilet where he's just put that bit of timber?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 15345027731562841630971487143164.jpg
    15345027731562841630971487143164.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 1,060
  • 1534502799532802697726753800940.jpg
    1534502799532802697726753800940.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 920
  • 15345028208472673591822174355868.jpg
    15345028208472673591822174355868.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 824
Sponsored Links
good grief

doing it properly might be easier and less expensive.

What is the distance between the wall (excluding skirting) and the centre of the soil pipe hole in the floor? There may be a WC that will actually fit.

I am assuming it is a concrete floor so you can't easily alter the pipe below. If it is a wooden floor with a void it is easier.

You could use uvpc to form a shelf and clad the rear timber.
To hide the pipe make up a box and cut in half then cut semi circle in each half and push together around pipe.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, make up a box with what?
And the bloke who fitted it, was a friend of the Mrs' mother whilst I was away needless to say he won't be asked back!! Yeah looking to maybe make that into a shelf not tile.

As a plumber, I feel the need to defend this chap somewhat... we have no information about the agreement for the works. Some plumbers do just that... Plumb things in, which he's done. I can box and decorate if required but it depends on the job agreement!
On the other hand, you could have got a builder or handyman to build a box and put the loo in and then you could have had a nice built-in look that leaked!
If however, he was a plumber and he supplied the product, then he could have chosen something that was better suited to your soil pipe connection.

To solve the issue.. Simply extend the timber to create a box frame down to the floor and left and right, if you so wish, and then clad the frame with either Mdf sheet and paint it or plasterboard and tile it.

We have a slimline Saniflo in our downstairs bog and this is how we hide it. You could do the same after sealing the waste pipe. Personally, I’d try to hide that fill pipe you have too.

We've done similar to Motman, using kitchen cabinet door fronts on the face.

Conversely, I bought a WC that actually fitted (it needed measurement and research, there aren't very many BO pans around) and has a skirt or shroud to cover the soilpipe connector, and fitted to the wall, so I had no need for boxing in. If you are willing to provide the measurement there may be a suitable one.

But, each to his own.

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the place for such a question or ideas but I'm abit of a novice in diy And new to the site.

Need some advice recently changed our loo downstairs bit of a cowboy job unfortunately.

1. The old hole was too big for the new toilet slightly and there is a gap. What can I cover that with?

2. How can I tidy up the back of the toilet where he's just put that bit of timber?

Thanks in advance.
The timberwork looks excellent to me. It needs boxing in in some way, as others have suggested, but that may not have been in the installer's scope.
I would guess the outlet pipe has a seal eg chevron type or you would be getting smells up from the sewer. I would break out the old mortar, fill most of the space with packing of some sort, and finish off with cement mortar. Not too strong or too thick, in case it needs to come out in future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back