dpc at eaves alternatives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im not sure of the proper name but my roof has a couple of small triangular shaped, sort of 'mini' roof structures at each end of the main roof.
Each side of these small roof sections is finished with bonnet hip ridge tiles down each edge.

Because of the bedded in hip ridge tiles i cant fully fit eaves trays since id have to lift the hip tiles in order to remove the first course of tiles near the ridges and remove the first lath etc....
(cant push the trays up due to the first tile batten)

Was thinking of using some dpc which i could slide under the tiles but i think this might flap around/vibrate in windy conditions.

Is there anything of similar thickness and flexibility to dpc but heavier that i could use to prevent it from flapping around when fitted

Sponsored Links
If you can slide DPC in, you can slide a tray in. Otherwise you need to remove the hips and do it properly

If you can slide DPC in, you can slide a tray in. Otherwise you need to remove the hips and do it properly

so i took a few tiles off to have a look earlier and yep you were right, i can slide the tray in under the last few tiles near the ridges so i wouldn't have to remove them.......

However........

Theres an additional timber behind the fascia which means the felt sort of sits flat at the eaves.
Theres little or no gap between the felt and under the first lath for any water to escape anyway unless i remove and modify the first lath which means removing the ridges. ( i guess i could always cut the lath midway on the rafter nearest the ridges, modify and refit)
Is this a normal sort of fit or does it need to be corrected? (everything looks to be okay as the felt hasn't deteriorated between the first and second laths

Theres just about 3 inches to the first lath from the edge of the fascia

I thought about using a cut down section of eaves protector bent to shape and butted up as far as the 1st lath like this
but wonder is it worth it given the current arrangement?

dont really want to have to remove the ridges if i can help it.....thats probably one job too far for me (plus one of them was recently re bedded) :)

what do you guys reckon?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
ended up just using a trimmed down flat piece of tray bent into a slope as pictured im my previous post. slid in as far as possible to each end and nailed in where possible.

Cleaned up all the moss from the tiles and refitted

Should be good enough.

ended up just using a trimmed down flat piece of tray bent into a slope as pictured im my previous post. slid in as far as possible to each end and nailed in where possible.

Cleaned up all the moss from the tiles and refitted

Should be good enough.

yep that’s fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back