DPC failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had a home buyers survey completed on a 4 bedroom house. Survey came back with high level of moisture in front ground bay , area of rear living room internal wall, hall wall adjacent to garage and utility room external wall.

So paniked and got a damp survey completed.....

Report says high level of moisture with sharp cut off point suggests rising damp and the need for tanking of the property by removing plaster upto a meter in height. Also says DPC has failed.

Theres suggesting work costs around £1800.

Is this as serious as it sounds?

Is rising damp a myth? mentioned in previous discussions with link to research.

Do internal walls have a DPC? ( i dont think they do) and what could possibly cause areas of internal damp on walls.

When i spoke to surveyor he said all skirting boards/wood appeared okay and most people would just live with it.

Im confused!!!! :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
Rising damp does occur, but I'm not sure if "failed" DPC's do

You don't say what type of DPC has allegedly failed, or the type or age of the property

And I would expect any report to have explored other possible causes and explained why other causes are not responsible for any dampness, rather than jumping straight to rising damp

And did the company who did the damp survey also offer to do the remedial work? :rolleyes:

Anyway, internal walls do have DPCs is built from the 60's onwards

Damp could be condensation, leaking pipes, penetrating etc.
Rising damp through a failed DPC is the normal comment from the salesmen.

House was built in the 50's. Im not sure what dpc it is suppose to have no ones mentioned that 2 me.

And yes the company offered to tank the property for me.

Sponsored Links
Think twice before throwing your money away. Diagnosing the cause of dampness will usually involve more than a salesman sticking a 'dampmeter' along the wall.

Get a couple of grand knocked off then fix it at leisure.

if cavity? they could be filled with silt/crud and once cleared no more damp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back