DPC/floor level for garage on a sloping site?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from a previous thread, I am now at the stage of getting the garage built.
Have sorted out a man with a digger for the footings, I will do the footings using readymix and I have a brickie ready to build to wall plate.
The Garage is going to be just under the 30m squared.
However I have a few questions.
So background first. The site is at the end of my garden,( I live on a corner plot) and at the rear is a access road. The site slopes 11” over the length (26 feet) .
So the problem I have is that I have to have the Garage door facing the road, which is at the lower end of the slope, I can have a lift of a max of 6”above ground for the floor level due to having a low car. If I put the DPC at this level, at the other end it will be below ground level(as will the slab/floor).
So I guess the question are as follows
1)Is is it ok to have the floor slab inside at the far end below the DPC of the wall(by approx 4-6”) ?
2) Is there anyway of protecting the inside of the wall from damp ( as I want to dry line the garage ( and insulate) .
3) is this the correct build up of the floor? 100mm type 1, sand blinding, DPM, 50mm kingspan, 150mm reinforced concrete
4) Any other solutions.
5) It is going to be single skin(100mm block) with piers, what width should the footings be, will 450mm be ok?

Sorry for all the questions. Hope it makes sense.
I will add some pics of the site tonight, might help it make a bit more sense.

Many thanks
Alex

Sponsored Links
So I guess the question are as follows
1)Is is it ok to have the floor slab inside at the far end below the DPC of the wall(by approx 4-6”) ?
2) Is there anyway of protecting the inside of the wall from damp ( as I want to dry line the garage ( and insulate) .
3) is this the correct build up of the floor? 100mm type 1, sand blinding, DPM, 50mm kingspan, 150mm reinforced concrete
4) Any other solutions.
5) It is going to be single skin(100mm block) with piers, what width should the footings be, will 450mm be ok?

1). As long as the DPM is lapped into the DPC adequately and the DPC is >150mm above ext GL the internal floor slab will be protected from damp. However, I would be inclined to step the DPC.
2) You could stud out over a DPM, infill with insulation ane plasterboard - that's one option.
3) Sounds reasonable.
4) Step the DPC to coincide with ext GL as in point 1.
5) Sounds reasonable.[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back