DPC for ceramic tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a porch about 2metre square, with old but very firmly fixed marley type vinyl floor tiles (foot square, thin). Based on other parts of the house I expect a black bitumen type painted goo underneath.

I intend to lay ceramic floor tiles straight over the top.

Q - Do I need to lay anything over the top for damp proofing? (I currently see no evidence of damp coming up)
Q - I would prefer to use a pre mixed adhesive/grout - the only ones I see are for wood or concrete bases - should I go for the concrete base one?

thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
The proper way, if you retain the marley tiles, is to coat them with an acrylic PVA (covers the damp scenario if it does exist) and lay tiles with a Flexible floor adhesive. Powdered cement based is always better but i suppose if you prefer a ready made tub of 'flex 'adhesive & prepared to pay more for a potentionally lower quality material, so be it. Remember, ready made stuff is invariably slow setting 24/48 hours opposed to approx 3/4 hours for powdered. Finally, many might use a standard adhesive without the flex & of these 75% will be ok. The remaining 25% might have tiles popping up in future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back