DPC Mortar bed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When bricklaying, should the DPC be sandwiched between mortar ?

Builder done some work for me has laid the DPM directly on top of brick with no mortar underneath. Another builder I know tells me this is incorrect because it allows the passage of water/damp where there is no mortar between brick and dpm.

Sponsored Links
It depends where you live. In the South East I always used to bed the DPC on mortar. In the South West it's often laid directly on the brickwork.
I have seen some really thick joints when it's bedded on mortar, so directly on the brickwork can be a neater looking job.

You'd builder friend is incorrect, regardless.

DPC is bedded to give a smooth even base for the DPC and to fill up any frogs, to avoid tears and punctures

Sponsored Links
bedding a dpc doesnt make the wall any stronger as plastic doesnt stick to mortar for the 1st 30 yrs of bricklaying we where told not to bed dpc and now where sometimes told to bed dpc which i think isnt correct,

Cornwall and most of the West Country don't always bed the DPC on the external skin. I don't know of any problems caused by this method, although the text book method is to bed it on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back