DPC when returning and keying garage door brickwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm cutting the back out of my attached garage to make it a 'drive through' and the BCO has been out to OK things. There will be 450mm of internal blockwork left between the new door and the corner, which complies with the 390mm minimum dimension.

When we talked about finishing off the brickwork, he suggested that I could return the outer brickwork and 'key it into the inner wall' of concrete block. I'm guessing that the reason is so that it would make a stronger pier at the side of the garage door rather than relying on the remaining wall ties, but where would the DPC go? Is the whole point not that the inner and outer walls don't touch? Do I weave it around the keyed bricks?

If I'm putting a timber frame around the door to finish it off anyway, would I be better off using a cavity closer?

Sponsored Links
Cavity closer it is - reading up on the web, 'toothing' bricks in isn't the done thing unless it's a freestanding pier between garage doors. Cavity closer solves all my problems with vertical DPC and insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back