DPM and SLC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I need to uplift broken / loose marley tiles and screed the room in preparation for sheet vinyl.

The subfloor under tiles has bitumin residue however there are parts where it's pulled this up and it's now just the old substrate.

There is no DPM as house is from 1930.

My question is I've seen it recommended to go -

SLC
DPM
Prime / SLC (unless I use Ardex NA, then just go straight on top of dpm)

What I don't understand is if the floor has moisture then why doesn't the first coat of SLC get blown / uplift as it's in direct contact with moisture? Does it not make more sense to dpm first?

Secondly if I use Ardex NA can I get away with a cheaper dpm on top then prime and ardex again? The dpm1c is rather expensive and I've got a 20m2 room to try and sort. Or do you think I could get away with just ardex and no dpm as I read it's quite moisture tolarent?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No you will need the Dpm 1c
Not that expensive. You need a 10kg. What price you been givin?

You could do same system with Fball products or with laybond which could work out cheaper.

£150+ for 10kg

Sill screed first then dpm? If the dpm acts as a barrier then how come the first poor of slc doesn't fail?

Thanks

It won't fail as it's moisture tolerant so let's moisture pass through it.
Done that system loads of times with 100% success.
Most times now though I do a quicker way which is with Uzin system.
Grind floor smooth
2 coats of PE404 dpm
Prime & screed

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back