dpm meeting dpc at door threshold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am finally going to lay the floor for a conservatory soon and I will be doing it like this (all credits to noseall :)

full

When the dpm (green line in pic) goes up behind the insulation at the door, should the dpm be left going over the external dpc or to just meet it and cut off? Or does it not matter? If its left it will just be sat under the door.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Try this one

DPM laps the brickwork under the door cill about 50mm or so, and DPC goes on top.

Attachments

• Note191015_0.jpg
    Note191015_0.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 6,819
Thanks for the image woody.

I forgot to mention in my OP that the reason noseall did it like that was because I am using blocks on the inside and outside skin - I then have 1 course of bricks on the inside and outside (but I left the brick out on the inside where the doors are going). So i only have 75mm max to play with for the screed.

I have modified the nosealls one slightly assuming you think its ok now you know the above.

I was thinking of putting some insulation in the cavity to protect the dpm when going over the bridge if there would be no issues with it (perhaps its not required). I also ideally wanted it supported across the cavity so will raise the infill to the inside leaf level.

Here is an updated image:
9532162020ddb8e1605d148100f4832b66ed825482e61697e27f9f5beeb4d61399936804.jpg

Sponsored Links
I have modified the nosealls one slightly

The problem with that detail, is that you have insulation showing on the floor surface.

The insulation in the cavity below the floor is doing nothing too.

It should be 100mm concrete on DPM, 75mm insulation and 75mm resin bonded screed over a 500 gauge seperating layer. Warm and Dry.! The threshold detail is as Woody says is poor, there is no requirement for the insulation above the cavity fill, its doing nothing, I would use an insulated DMC lapped over the DMP that way you have an insulated up-stand eliminating cold bridging and a minimum thickness at the floor / threshold abutment.

Hope this helps.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all this. As I already had the first image and due to using blocks on the inside and outside skin, I had to go with what I originally thought.

We laid the slab at the weekend after many hours but its done.

So this is what I plan to end up with. Everything is except from building control as its a conservatory. I understand the way of doing it as woody says. I just want to make sure there will be no major issues.

Here is what the final result is planned to be, the slab is down so if any adjustments need making above or around the door threshold, suggestions would be good.

I also now 75mm or higher insulation is recommended but due to levels I ended up with I had to make a sacrifice. Not quite sure if the VCL should extend up to the next bit of insulation either but I don't think that is a major issue.

Door_Threshold_zps08smd2i9.png

I also have 50mm sand blinding and 150mm hardcore under all that

Happy to put 25mm celtoex over the internal block extending to the celotex at door threshold if risk of a cold spot on the bit that is missing if required.

Thanks

Last edited:
It would have been a neater detail if the inner block was lowered allowing the new concrete slab to extend to the back of the other block - But what you have suggested / now installed will suffice - As you suggest 25mm insulation over the inner block and cavity fill would be very beneficial to avoid cold bridging. This will obviously be butted up to the Celotex you have detailed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back