DPM on external garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I plan to replace the entire bottom row of my single skin brick garage where the faces of the bricks have blown, I plan to replace these with engineering bricks.
Directly above this row is a Damp proof membrane as seen in pics.
My concern is that as I replace the bricks, (plan on doing 4 at a time leaving next 4 in place), should I, to ensure better adhesion to both layers of brick remove the membrane and add some kind of damp proof liquid to the mortar mix. I'm using blue circle ready mix mortar by the way.
Thanks in advance.........

Attachments

• thumbnail_20200522_162448.jpg
    thumbnail_20200522_162448.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 129
  • thumbnail_20200522_162450.jpg
    thumbnail_20200522_162450.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 126
Sponsored Links
Cheers for getting back Woody, would I be doing it correctly replacing 4 bricks at a time, not putting any mortar on each end of the row of 4 until adjacent one are done?
Also do you put an even amount of mortar directly above and below the dpm? My thinking is that, with it being only single skin and as I will be going round the whole garage, doing it without the dpm in place would be a stronger job, as direct mortar to brick adhesion. Is there an additive to add to the mortar that would be as good as the plastic dpm?
Cheers..................Occy

Yes leave the end joints empty until you do the adjacent section. And if adding DPC, likewise for the 100mm laps.

There is no additive to replace a physical DPC. Although several course of solid blue bricks and strong cement was a past method.

It won't be any stronger without a DPC. There is no real need for the same depth of mortar above and below the DPC, but it's important to fill the joints fully. I'd suggest that easiest would be a thinner joint on the bricks first, level it, put the DPC on, tamp it down, then fill the top joint. A thicker space above will allow you to get the mortar in easier.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that. Should be all set now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back