Draconian, Sinister, Big Brother Censorship!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No, I'm not on about the mods on here.

Yesterday I visited a large Tesco supermarket in a Bristol suburb. I used a self-checkout for my only purchase - a copy of the Daily mail. As soon as I scanned it, the screen told me I needed to have the item authorised. An assistant arrived quickly and did the necessary.

What's going on? What possible reason, apart from the rise of the lefty, Guardian reading liberal establishment, can there be for a newspaper to need authorisation before it can be bought?

Sponsored Links
They prpobably wondered who was buying such a thing and thought you might be deranged and a danger to other customers. :)

or maybe had a big bag of shopping hidden and were just paying for the paper to make it look good.

We don't know what has happened before.

Sponsored Links
They prpobably wondered who was buying such a thing and thought you might be deranged and a danger to other customers. :)

or maybe had a big bag of shopping hidden and were just paying for the paper to make it look good.

We don't know what has happened before.

But the 12 year old next to me buying half a dozen steak knives and a bottle of Jack Daniels was waved through without delay. ;)

So you post on here asking why you needed the transaction to be authorised but failed to ask the staff member?

Definitely a DM reader. You can find enemies and plots in an empty room.

So you post on here asking why you needed the transaction to be authorised but failed to ask the staff member?

Asking a member of Tesco staff why the powers that be have decreed that a DM is a controlled substance would be like trying to get sense out of you or nosenowt. Actually, that's unfair to Tesco employees.

Maybe the bigwigs at Tesco and Virgin have been talking to each other?

At least they appear not to have asked for your name and address.

I take it you paid cash for it.

Tim

Sponsored Links
Back