Draft coming in through wall ventilation for stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

when the fire is not lit, should the ventilation be creating a draft that blows through the room?

I can understand, that if the fire is lit, then there will be a draft created, to replace the air that is used to burn the fuel, but should there still be a draft when the fire is not lit, and the vents on the stove are closed?

Thanks
Tony

Sponsored Links
Sure to be Tony - after all its a hole in the wall that you have.
The draught just isn't going up the chimney, its going elsewhere.
Best not to block that ventilator though in case its left shut when the stove is next lit.
John :)

Hi John,

it kind of seems counterintuitive, to have a hole in the wall, that a draught blows through all the time, which then cools the house down, for the occasions when we do have the fire lit.

I understand the safety aspects of this, and appreciate it has a use.

Any idea on what the best way is to tackle this draught that comes in? Maybe find out where its going to, and try to do some draught proofing at this location? Needless to say, the wife isn't happy about the room being cold, can't say I'm thrilled about it either...

Thanks
Tony

Just one of the 'pleasures' of having a stove, Tony and I fully understand where you are coming from!
Its only stoves of 5kw and over that require an open vent - as far as I know - smaller ones can rely on natural draught but its always vital to have a CO detector in the room.
Nothing much you can do really apart from putting a shutter across your existing vent and religiously opening it when the fire is on....I've seen that done but I do appreciate the risks (and regs).
I have similar issues with my woodburners.....its meltdown in front of them, so you open the door to cool things down - only to be met by a gale!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, I think we'll be heading down that route too, and possibly see if we can find out where this draught is heading too, to see if there's anything we can do there. Maybe some incense sticks can help create a smoke trail to follow....

Unfortunately I think our house, with it being fairly old and draughty anyway, really needed the ventilation... but they did a smoke test etc, did measurements etc and told us we needed one about the size of a cigarette packet... then put a 10cm hole in the wall!

Thanks
Tony

Does your stove have the option for an external air kit which will keep the room more sealed? It normally connects under the stove directly to the outside world.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back