Draft proofing hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_1934.JPG
Hi there.

I have just pulled out our kitchen units and discovered behind the sink a hole in the plaster board exposing the brickwork. The draft coming through the hole is quite alarming. Its an old house and appreciate that probably the pointing needs fixing and stuff... but before I put the new units in I'd like to stop the draft coming through the hole... My first thought was expanding foam but then I was concerned about the pipework in the future needing repair/replacement. My second thought was stuffing in rock wool and getting as much in there as possible.... but then with the pipework being a bit all over the place I don't know how I would finish it...... Ive attached a picture, so if anyone could help out with the best way to sort I'd be really appreciative!

Thanks as always
Dougie

Sponsored Links
That is a serious hole!
Easiest option is to screw a carefully cut board (or boards) with mastic to the wall or to build up the wall in bits to seal it

Sponsored Links
Avoid foam that is a compression joint you may need access to it sometime , go with the rockwool if it is being covered with a unit as Tigercubrider says cut a cover for it if you want to leave it neat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back