Correct vent for converted outhouse.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for this post. I am a complete beginner!

I am redecorating a small room that has been created out of an 1820's outhouse.

On removal of an overpainted 'hit and miss' vent I discovered an approx 15cm diameter plastic pipe had been in the installed behind it that leads directly to a small (10 x 20cm) rectangular window in the exterior wall. I am not sure what the original purpose of this 'window' was but presumably whoever converted the outhouse installed a pipe and vent to stop condensation build up . The pipe was stuffed with remarkably dry newspaper (Sunday Times Feb '03 if you are interested!) presumably because there was too much of a draft coming through and as the room is an occasional guest bedroom it could also be quite noisy.

I am keen to ensure this vent is set up properly and wanted to know whether there was anything more appropriate to 'plug' the hole other than a Sunday paper? I don't want to restrict the air flow too much but am keen to avoid draft/noise.

I will install a new hit and miss vent on the interior wall and am going to try and find a decorative metal grill for the exterior wall (to discourage nesting beasties and generally prettify it) but if anyone knows of any foam or similar material that would allow air flow, discourage condensation build up but minimise drafts that would be great.

Thanks is advance.

FP.

Sponsored Links
Why can't you just put a Sunday Times May 15 edition back in, if there was no problems beforehand?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back