Do I need vents in my house !?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently have a large open plan lounge / diner / kitchen.
Double Glazed - No Trickle Vents.
Open Chimney (No fire)

I am intending on blocking off the fireplace (putting in a hit/miss vent)

But this will be the only ventilation into these rooms.... is this sufficient?

I am not having any condensation problems but am concerned about the lack of air flow into the room.... except when I open a window !

Am I right to be concerned... ? Should I have additional vents into the room?

None of the other rooms in the house have vents either or trickle vents in the windows... should I add some vents ?

Ta. :D

Sponsored Links
Ummmm... Yes to which bit ;)

Hit/Miss vent for fireplace - Is this sufficient?

Or

Should I add vents?

Also, all the rooms seem to have a 25mm gap under the internal doors, which I read somewhere on this forum that this would help with ventilation, but I guess the fresh air has to come from somewhere !

Who would be the best person to speak to about adequate ventilation in the house? I don't even know what trade to contact !

Sponsored Links
Yup.. Thanks John... I'd read that, but I don't have condensation problems !

I vent the tumble dryer outside.
We have bathroom extractors built into light switch and timers to continue running after switching off.
We tend to open the windows quite a lot, kitchen window when cooking, bedrooms and bathrooms in the morning... just for fresh air sake !

So.... do I need trickle vents on the windows ? do I need vents in my walls ? If I havent got condensation problems?

How many vents / m3 of room volume ?

trickle vents in the windows will probably do

there are some rules for area of ventilation holes per volume of rooms, but I can't remember where they are

sorry

You may find them in the Windows section, or do a search.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back