Air vent to tackle condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved in 2 years ago, and had condensation issues in winter, in the rooms with external walls (rooms which have the the four corners of the house). Would an air vent fix this issue, also I was thinking of a hit and miss vent in each of the rooms, but fitting an air brick would be difficult to do as it is quite high up and isn't just viable at the moment. I was just thinking of doing multiple 8mm or so holes and covering it with a hit and miss vent, would that work?
TIA

Attachments

• PXL_20240114_222936543.jpg
    PXL_20240114_222936543.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20240114_222941708.jpg
    PXL_20240114_222941708.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20240114_222947977.jpg
    PXL_20240114_222947977.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 21
Sponsored Links
Where is the moisture coming from? Do you drape wet laundry over radiators?

What sort of windows have you got?

Is it upstairs or down?

Please photograph the outside of the house corners, all the way up to the roof, gutters and downpipes.

We do put wet clothes on radiators no gutter issues outside the house also gutters are a fair bit away from wall so any spillage falls on floor and it's 2nd floor

I would suggest try drying clothes outdoors or in a condensing dryer, before you start drilling holes in your house...

Sponsored Links
Yes, you are delivering the water from your wet washing into your home.

How effective is the bathroom extractor fan?

Bathroom extractor is pretty good, in terms of drying washing yes I understand that it can cause excess moisture, we try not to alot of the time, but just the way things are it's difficult not to, especially in winter. But in terms of drilling holes without having a physical air brick fitted is that something that can be done? Also windows are double glazed but don't have trickle vents.

If you insist on hanging wet laundry inside your home

Rig a line in the bathroom. Leave the door and window SHUT. Turn on the extractor and leave it on.

This will cause suction that prevents the water vapour diffusing through your home.

As water evaporates it forms a vast volume of vapour, so you need not worry about sucking air from your home. A typical gap under the bathroom door is enough.

A typical modern bathroom fan will run for 100 hours on one unit of electricity.

If yours has worn-out bearings I can suggest a better, quiet one.

Open your windows every morning while the beds air.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back