Exposed Box Lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need some advice on an issue I have regarding a cold draft blowing up into our bedroom through a cavity wall underneath.

I will try and explain without pictures :)

We moved into this house over a year ago and whilst clearing it out noticed a cold spot on the floor in out bedroom above the garage. Being above the garage I thought nothing of it and may insulate the garage ceiling at a later date.

After getting to know the house a little better I noticed there is a box lintel supporting our front porch area and it runs from our study wall to the cavity wall below our bedroom.

Being a box lintel with lots of holes in I'm under the impression this is causing the draft.

Is it OK to fill this lintel with expanding foam for insulation and then cap it with UPVC for decorative finish?

Any idesa greatly appreciated, I can get some pucs if needed.

Many Thanks

Will.

Sponsored Links
Yes some pics please, inside and out and showing the lintel in context, not just a close up showing some holes in a lintel.

Hi,

I will take some better pics later, however to help the lintel is in the green rectangle and the cavity walls are shown in red. The lintel is face with bricks but behind is fully exposed. The red on the left is the cavity where the draft is coming up into the bedroom. Unfortunately I cannot show this from the inside as flooring is down.

I will take some pics later from under the porch.

The whole area above the lintel appears to be a cold spot inside the house.

Many Thanks

Will.

If the lintel is over the garage, you should not be able to see it because it should be encased.

Sponsored Links
If it's supporting a wall above, it should be encased to 30 mins. fire resistance.
Unusual to see exposed lintels like that.

Hi,

From the first pic of the whole house it has the roof joists come down on top of it as its a chalet style bungalow.

I think from looking at it the lintel is acting as a cold draft feed from the outside to inside the cavity wall on the left which supports our bedroom above.

So can I fill it with foam and cap it in upvc?

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Will.

Hi,

I'm just about to fill this lintel with expanding foam and cap it with UPVC cladding before winter. Does anyone have any other ideas or advice on this?

Many Thanks

Will

I'm not an expert, I wouldn't fill it with expanding foam. Cladding in PVC won't give you 30 minutes fire protection.

What we did on our extension was cut cement board to fit slightly oversize to allow you to fasten the cement board to the wall, then paint it with masonry paint.

Wouldn't fill it with foam- if you do you'll trap any condensate from the air that WILL get in and give yourself corrosion problems down the line

Clad it with something by all means- plywood, plasterboard, cement board, whatever- but I'd suggest leaving a couple of drip holes in the cladding. Fire protection makes sense but not sure how well No More Nails will hold cement board up & drilling into the lintel for fixing isn't a brilliant idea

That whole area of your bedroom floor is "outside", though sheltered from the rain. The floorboards need to come up and the whole volume stuffing with insulation.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, is it work contacting building control as this was created in 1988 and I have all documentation for it. On the other hand could I attack the issue from either removing the cladding on the roof of the porch or lift the roof tiles above?

I'm a little concerned how this could pass building regs and also not be picked up on my survey.

Many thanks

Will.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back