lintel question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
We are currently building our first floor blockwork on a 2 story extension. The 1st floor will become 2 bedrooms and we need lintels above windows. I am not sure if there is an alternative to the lintels specified on the plans. The plans state Catnic 71 and they have to be insulated. The sizes needed will be 1800 and 2100. The walls are built out of 215 solid blocks. I had a look in wickes yesterday and they sell steel lintels that are insulated but they too wide for our blocks by one and a half inches. I am totally out of my league with these lintels and wondered if the wickes ones are were adequate. Or is there a cheaper alternative to catnic 71
Nelliedee :confused:

Sponsored Links
I think a Catnic CN71 is a solid wall lintel and I'm fairly sure Wickes do not do solid wall lintels. (because they are not very common)

There are alternatives to Catnic - IG, Ancon, etc. - but I don't think these will be significantly cheaper, if at all.

If you are building solid wall, why do you need an insulated lintel? Could you not use a concrete lintel (which is significantly cheaper) and insulate along with the wall insulation.

If you do change the spec you must make sure that the safe working loads are not exceeded.

As jeds says I doubt you will find a lintel to suit this application at Wickes or a DIY shed. From the info you've given a suitably sized concrete lintel may be worth considering.

The Catnic CN71 at 1800 and 2100 has a SWL of 27kn. The comparable IG lintel (which you may find easier to get hold of - depending on your location) is BOX200. The SWL (Safe Working Load) of the BOX200 at the desired lengths is 25kN so you should be ok - but check with the architect first. I would also check the query re insulating the line - as it's a solid wall. If not, you can move up to the hdbox200 which will give you 40kN - thus exceeding the strength of the Catnic. List prices for the IG's as follows:-

BOX200@1800 = £102. BOX200@2100 = £122.
HDBOX200@1800 = £137. HDBOX200@2100 = £180.

Thos are list prices and you should get a decent discount (20-40%) depending on your terms with your supplier.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Guys
I cannot use a concrete lintel as the plans say anything under 1500 can have a concrete lintel and our openings are 1530 and 1800.

I will have a word with the inspector regarding the insulation so thanks for that pointer.

Can you tell me what an IG lintel is?
Many thanks
Nelliedee

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back