Draft proofing windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into rented accomodation but the windows are a bit rubbish. It's a listed building so double glazing is not possible.

Does anyone know of any good solutions to stop the draft and help keep the room warm??? I have huge thick curtains already but it's not enough.

any ideas would be much appreciated. thanks

Sponsored Links
Well you could always try and get permission to have secondary glazing installed although these might have to be approved by the local authorities first to make sure they dont effect the appearance of the building. I've seen secondary glazing fitted inside some old mansion houses before although this is not exactly the cheapest option.

I remember my mum used to use a type of cling-film years ago as a temporary thing over the winter. You stick it to the inside of the frames and use a hairdryer to make it fit tight over the glass. This was a few years before UPVC windows cam onto the market so I don't know if it's still available?

Heavy curtains and draught-stripping are the first and cheapest things. as it's rented and listed secondary glazing is probably not a goer.

Are they hinged windows or sliding sash?

The plastic sheet is cheap and you can take it off in the summer. Frames have to be very clean and preferably freshly painted to make it stick. When you move out your landord will say you have damaged the paint on the frames with the sticky tape and charge you £800 for repainting them.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
Heavy curtains and draught-stripping are the first and cheapest things. as it's rented and listed secondary glazing is probably not a goer.

Are they hinged windows or sliding sash?

The plastic sheet is cheap and you can take it off in the summer. Frames have to be very clean and preferably freshly painted to make it stick. When you move out your landord will say you have damaged the paint on the frames with the sticky tape and charge you £800 for repainting them.

What kind of plastic sheet do you use, do you stick it on the outside or inside? (sorry for daft questions)

Also, where can you buy heavy curtains from cause I can't find anyone selling them anywhere?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back