Drafty Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just after a quick bit of advice please, Have lived in this house for 5 years and we've always had an issue in one of the bedrooms. The house in general can be difficult to heat up but the main bedroom is particularly drafty/cold.

When looking and feeling around the window, I've noticed that you can feel a draft/cold air coming in, paricularly around the edges under some plastic trim at the bottom. Sometimes it seems like it's strong enough to actually move the curtains.

All the windows in the house are the same type/style and whilst none of them seem particularly great in my opinion, the other windows don't seem to be as badly finished as this one and certainly look a lot neater. the gap is wide enough to atleast fit a 2p coin into.

I've attached some pictures. Without going down the route of getting a new window, if i were to apply some sealant/caulk along the edges would that help stop the draft/cold getting in? From the outside the windows/outside sealant look ok but i haven't been up a ladder to have a close look.

I've seen Tape like products available too but just want to see if something like that would help, Don't want to be wasting money if it can be helped.

Attachments

• 20240123_140035.jpg
    20240123_140035.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240123_140110.jpg
    20240123_140110.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240123_140102.jpg
    20240123_140102.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 21
Sponsored Links
Well, applying some caulk to those gaps should help stop the draft but the draft must be getting past the outside sealant if it is coming around the edge of the frame. Do the inside now and do the outside when you can.

I agree with the previous reply. It also seems like your house is lacking insulation. You might be entitled for a grant. It is worth checking it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back