Help with Drafty Windows - Replacement reinforcement of seals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all, thanks in advance for your help here.

Moved into a new house in the summer, and now the cold weather is here, have noticed that the windows that open have terrible drafts coming through from them. It seems that the window is not shutting flush against the frame when it is locked, and you can see a small gap on the hinge side and can hear the outside noise through it. The seal around the windows look like they are stuck on to the frames, so cannot be replaced easily.

I was wondering if someone had any bright ideas with this? Can you buy like reinforcement strips that will close the gap?

I have attached photos for ease. I am not sure how old the windows are.

IMG_8207.JPG IMG_8208.JPG IMG_8209.JPG IMG_8210.JPG

Attachments

• CNVV1734[1].JPG
    CNVV1734[1].JPG
    286 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_8205.JPG
    IMG_8205.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm sure you'll get better replies from the professionals on here, but these type of hinges have a little plastic triangle fitted at the bottom of the hinge side (you can see it in your last pic), and a corresponding wedge on the window side. These triangles cause the window to be pulled back against the frame when closing...but they wear and cause a gap. My money is on needing new hinges .

Its possible the seals flatten over time as they lose their flexibilty and as above the friction stays retaining cap wears.

Some friction stays have an active cap -which is metal.

Also the lock mushrooms can be adjusted to increase seal compression.

I've tried the lock mushrooms, this doesn't seem to bring the hinge side back into the frame.

Sponsored Links
I've tried the lock mushrooms, this doesn't seem to bring the hinge side back into the frame.

No, they only adjust the handle side.

Im not sure whether new stays might help. Im not sure if you can adjust the position of the stays because the eurogroove is a set position.

New stays might help -maybe a pro window guy will be along soon to advise, Im mostly timber

Closing wedges fitted in between the top and bottom hinges helps gain compresssion especially on tall openers where the pvc can bow outwards, try these first as they are inexpensive, if not then along with new hinges I'm certain you'll cure the hinge side draughts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back